Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-06-2003, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag problem

I just bought a used Scag 36. When i demo'd it everything seemed to work fine. Now I am hoping I don't have a problem with the transmission. When it's in first and sometimes 2nd gear, it takes off hard and pops a wheelie, I figured that was pretty normal, and it may be...but then after you pull both handles and the let them out again, it's like it goes back in neutral. If you just tap the lever it engages again and then does it again. It is mostly in 1st gear but it has done it in 2nd too I believe.

Is there some kind of adjustment, or something that could cause this other than the transmission?

Other than this problem, the mower works great and does not seem to have many hours on it. Hard to believe it would have a bad trans so soon.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like the shift key may be going bad. If you're mechanically inclined you can replace it yourself for about 5 bucks. Otherwise take it to a dealer or replace the tranny.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

are you putting it into gear with the pistol grips in neutral or in the go position.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Member

in neutral. I was looking at the parts diagram, I don't think I would want to attempt to change that shift key. Transmission are not too much, but there is probably 100 hours top on this mower, seems weird it would go bad so fast.

Anything else it could be? I saw some neuatral switches, anything there that could go bad?
Old 03-07-2003, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You'd be suprised at the few number of times that are needed to damage the shift key if someone is shifting the tranny while the clutches are engaged.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

OK Thanks Richard, I appreciate your help. Also read some old post that were helpful. I hope I did not do that, I think I did shift it that way a few times. sighs. What do you think would be cheaper, buy a trans and putting in myself, or having the dealer fix it?

Maybe I will just try to live without first and see how it does for a while. Would really like to trade toward a new 32 anyway.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't even waste my time on this. If the mower is new take it to the dealer and see what they will do for you. I am not saying to be dishonest but it if is new then there should be a warranty. Let us know what you do.

Gravely_Man
Old 03-07-2003, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

your not going to be mowing in first gear anyway. make sure it is not the splines on the couplers on the sides of the tranny that are not stripped and are slipping and grabbing
Old 03-07-2003, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree sounds like the shift key. I have the same transmission on a Toro rear engine rider (exact tranny) and it has a lot of hours on it and alot left on it, have shifted on the go alot with it, or just feathering the clutch and no damage yet. It took alot of abuse from me that is for sure. Shifting from 5th back into reverse while still rolling (clutch pushed in most of the way). I probably set a new record for a Y turn with a rear engine rider LOL. Haven't had this problem with it but that does sound like what it is. A new tranny is about $175 or so from J-Thomas. I just sold two used ones to another guy.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with gravelyman. If it's new why are you thinking of doing it yourself. Didn't it come with any type of warrenty? Take it back and let them fix it for you at no charge.