Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2003, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

gps for measuring area

has anyone used a gps for measuring area to be mowed. i just bought one for about $200 for use on my crab boat and it has an area calculator on it. i just did a rough check and seems to be pretty accurate. just push start, walk the perimeter and press stop and it give area. handy as pocket on a shirt.
jbob
Old 03-24-2003, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

jbob,
What kind of gps is that? I always wondered if there was such a thing out there that you could walk with. Who makes it and where did you buy yours.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

gps

mine is a garmin eTrecx legend. i bought it at acadamy sports. they had a $50 rebate on it which made it about $200.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

gps

I have the same GPS unit. I have a sod farm and sell most of my sod by the Acre to Sod companies. I use it to measure the area they will cut and they pay me off of that. I is much better than the wheel I was using before. It is also good for irregular shaped areas. It seems to be pretty accurate on large areas (1 acre of bigger), but for small areas (5000-10000 sq
Old 03-24-2003, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

gps

sorry, hit the wrong button, not finished. On smaller areas, not as accurate. Mine gives an accuracy reading. The best I usually get is 16 ft. If it is only accurate to 16 ft, not all that great. I have compared it to another GPS unit used for farming which is accurate to 6 inches, and it is always close. Like I said, on big open areas, it is great, and on small areas, sometimes it is right on, and other times it is off.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the GREAT IDEA!

I've been looking for an excuse to get a GPS unit for the fishing holes, now I can call it a tax wright off.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Re: gps

Quote:
Originally posted by jbob
mine is a garmin eTrecx legend. i bought it at acadamy sports. they had a $50 rebate on it which made it about $200.
Good price!

I bought mine here last year for $250:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/cgi-bin/S...890+1048602882

In addition to what worthbrown said, it can give false readings when measuring up next to buildings.
At other times it's as accurate as a survey.

I really like mine, and if I lost it I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Someone must know some pointers on how to increase it's chance of accuracy. Maybe leaving it on longer to identify more satellites or keeping it pointed the same direction all around the perimeter. I've tried both of these and they don't seem to make any difference. But something must help.

I did figure out if you keep it in your shirt pocket, the window needs to face out, away from your body. Plus you don't want it swinging from the lanyard around your neck. That'll give some really screwy readings.

Phishook;
I got to try it for that. My son-in-law asked me to bring it along when he took me fishing out in the Gulf of Mexico last month. He had an older model that wouldn't give exact cordinates for an artifical reef out of Ft. Myers.
When we got to the location it was crowded as a marina. I guess we weren't the first to use a GPS to locate it.
We did catch some nice grunts though.

Dave
Old 03-25-2003, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This sounds like something that could really help you give a more accurate estimate. I for one will be checking into this. Thanks for the info.

Gravely_Man
Old 03-25-2003, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Believe it or not....the accuracy of these units has been highly limited by the US government.
Apparently and like we have seen in Iraq....these units can be used to guide missiles to it targets. So the systems has a built in pseudo random error so as to make it not ideal for missile guiding.
Of course the US holds the exact calibration of these units and is able to use them for war purposes.

Adrian