Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a very good thread I read frequently so I thought I'd throw it back up to the top.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im going to reread it. I've followed the responses for a year now but dont remember my first post....lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2010, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Old thread but showed up under "New posts" for me.

VERY interesting story. Helped me realize some things with this being my first year and also part time. I love just sitting back and reading useful information!!
Stihl handhelds
Boss Plows
18' Liberty Industries open trailer
14' Sure Trac dump trailer
Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

PROCUT1
I decided to bump this because it truely is a great read. It's also helps the small time guys get put into perspective how the big time game is not all peachy and perfect.

I used to look at these big companys who have all these trucks and all these mowers, even a full-time mechanic on board in their own shop and think, wow, this is where I want to be. The owner must be rich, and sure, he probably makes out pretty good.

It's easy to imagine having 500 accounts and multiplying it by an average $40 lawn. ($20,000) but what about those F-250 trucks, 5 lazer Z's, 5 walk behinds, countless trimmers blowers and everything else even before I think about how much you'd be paying in labor to get 500 done in a week. WOW.

The overhead to me, is unimaginable. My goal is to eventually be "hands off" even though I LOVE cutting grass. Ok, so I'll probably stay out there on a ZTR all day, cuz I love it and I would never feel like the quality of work would be there unless I was. BUT my goal is to maximize one crew of guys (2-3 guys, myself included) that can do a max number of residentials each week consistantly. The number in my head would be 50-60, maybe more.

I never want to get bigger than one crew. One work truck. My personal truck. a 16ft trailer and my small 5x12. A good ZTR, walk behind and push mower. I want to maximize one crew with as minimal overhead as possible. This way I can pay out labor without blinking and have enough money to buy another ZTR or similar piece of equipment in cash.

I am embarking on a new career as an EMT after I finish school and pursuing becoming a fireman. Once I start either career I want my landscaping business to be able to run itself and me come in when I get the itch to ride the ZTR and knock out 10-15 yards a day. I don't think any of it is unrealistic. I know what I have to do. I know what I need to invest in and what I don't need. The best part is I am in no rush. I realize that the quality customers and employees will not come overnight anyway.

I run just my 36" exmark wb, and have a guy weedeat and edge right now. We do between 25-30 lawns a week easy. I will continue to max this scenario out until I really NEED that ZTR and by that time I will have the cash saved to buy outright.

I think that a HUGE key to success is maximizing what you already have working for you. Don't rush to increase your overhead and have $6000 in mower debt when you are doing 30 with a walkbehind and one guy easy. Sometimes I get the urge to make payments on a shiny new mower. I have to fight them off and realize I don't need that mower until I have 50-60. PROCUT, let me know what you think of all this. I like to discuss the details of business, and what really makes a business thrive. Let me know what you think of what all I have said and more importantly, thanks for takin the time to post all of this. It's always great to hear good information from an experienced fellow instead of the typical guy behind his computer screen talking out of his ace, so thanks!

Griffin
Old 11-03-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks procut1 the information was great! It honestly mad me rethink that dream of haveing a big company and a big amount of trucks on the road etc. Now i think of how i can be so much more profitable with 2-3 trucks on the road instead of 10-15 trucks like some bigger companies have around. Also being a smaller business a more personal touch gets up into the job and as the owner a costumer can reach you even easyer.

This has helped me a lot seeing as this is my first year being legal and i am 18 years old. Thanks again!
6x12 Road King open trailer
Exmark Metro 48
Toro Proline 36 Belt Drive
Lawn Boy 21" commercial 2 stroke
Toro commercial 21"
Redmax EBZ 80001 BP
Redmax EBZ 8500 BP
Redmax CHT 2300 Hedge Trimmer
Redmax BCZ 2610 trimmer
Stihl BG 55
8 HP Push Blower

Solo Operation

My equipment and truck pics:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=283877
Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump for all the newbies and just a darn good read!!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man, I just spent and hour reading this entire thread, (While the colts lost to the Jets ) for the first time.

I think I'll stay solo and part time,,, till my son grows up enough for me to work has butt off, to keep him busy and out of trouble. Also to help build his character and work ethic.

Great thread!

Gravely ZT XL 48" 24hp Kawasaki
Husqvarna 48" Belt drive W/ETS W/Pro-slide
21 White W/bagger
Toro 4 Stroke B/P blower
Toro Split shaft trimmer
assorted attachments 5x8 trailer
94 ECLB 6.5 K2500 Chevy ~ SnoWay 8ft plow
Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbonz View Post
Man, I just spent and hour reading this entire thread, (While the colts lost to the Jets ) for the first time.

I think I'll stay solo and part time,,, till my son grows up enough for me to work has butt off, to keep him busy and out of trouble. Also to help build his character and work ethic.

Great thread!
Bump for a good Sunday morning read. Yayyyy JETS!!!!! (Well, the Giants didn't make it right??)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow I'm at work right now, could only make it through about 14pages right now. Thanks for the bump, and thanks to Procut. As a guy who has been doing this part time for 7 years finally going to grow this year it is a very useful thread. My plan has never been to get huge, had too many people tell me stay small. I find out tomorrow if my full time job will let me go part time, if they say yes then I'm going for it but slowly.

I will be starting another thread shortly on my own about trying to grow debt free, and while working a part time job on the side. I'm excited for this year and after about 5 years of talking about this can't wait to do it.

I can't believe how resourceful this site is. With the Search bar and members like Procut posting things like this. I literally spend 4-5hours easy a day on this site in the winter just learning from other members.
(2) 21' Toro Commercial Kawi's
Echo Srm210- replacing March 2011
6.5x12 Trailer
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmers
Stihl Br320 backpack blower
Stihl BG56C handheld blower
Our business is Debt Free, huge Dave Ramsey Fan
Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bump for the,imo, one of the best threads I've read on this site. Always good to read through it again.
Closed Thread