Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually have a friends bobcat 853 out in the yard right now and i find it much less useful than the compact tractor we rented to dig a water/sewer/electric supply to our pole barn.
Seems the compact is more versatile but yeah there is a loss in the lift capacity. Maybe they make some that can lift 2000lbs? I had to hang as a ballast on the back of the bobcat to pick up a pallet ton of wood pellets anyways and the 853 isn't a small skid steer.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColvinsPS View Post
I actually have a friends bobcat 853 out in the yard right now and i find it much less useful than the compact tractor we rented to dig a water/sewer/electric supply to our pole barn.
Seems the compact is more versatile but yeah there is a loss in the lift capacity. Maybe they make some that can lift 2000lbs? I had to hang as a ballast on the back of the bobcat to pick up a pallet ton of wood pellets anyways and the 853 isn't a small skid steer.
you sure that pallet was only a ton? the 853's tipping load is well over 3k lbs. And to say a compact tractor can outdig a bobcat? I find the opposite true...very true.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
you sure that pallet was only a ton? the 853's tipping load is well over 3k lbs. And to say a compact tractor can outdig a bobcat? I find the opposite true...very true.
Couldn't agree more...We used to own a 853 and it would lift a 3000lb pallet of wall block so I'm confused also. And there is no way a compact tractor can out dig a skid steer, unless the operator had no idea what hes doing.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
I dont know what your trying to say... I guess you need to read more carefully.
I'm pretty sure he means you won't follow through on buying your yard.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I'm pretty sure he means you won't follow through on buying your yard.
oh, okay. Well he can take a walk then. I didnt buy the skid because the guy wouldnt take it to the dealer for an inspection I was paying for. JustStartin, his name works for him.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
It was 4 wrapped pallets one ton each of wood pellets. picking them off of my trailer it was almost tipping the skid forward.

As for the digging ability. I will say it may not have been a fair comparison since we used a hoe on the compact. It was more of a general usefulness comparison for my needs. For ME, like i said before, the compact is more useful. I thought maybe you hadn't considered it. I didn't mean to try and start an internet fight over how incompetent a loader operator may be or that i imagined the back end of my friends skid steer picking off the ground when he picked up a pallet of wood pellets from Tractor supply.

Carry on.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColvinsPS View Post
It was 4 wrapped pallets one ton each of wood pellets. picking them off of my trailer it was almost tipping the skid forward.

As for the digging ability. I will say it may not have been a fair comparison since we used a hoe on the compact. It was more of a general usefulness comparison for my needs. For ME, like i said before, the compact is more useful. I thought maybe you hadn't considered it. I didn't mean to try and start an internet fight over how incompetent a loader operator may be or that i imagined the back end of my friends skid steer picking off the ground when he picked up a pallet of wood pellets from Tractor supply.

Carry on.
It wasn't me bringing up incompetence.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
oh, okay. Well he can take a walk then. I didnt buy the skid because the guy wouldnt take it to the dealer for an inspection I was paying for. JustStartin, his name works for him.
Sounds like you got some $ in your pocket and it is burning a hole! Kind of jump going to buy a 20K+ skid to buying some acreage. Maybe your name should be just juststartin after that demo job!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah I got some $$ and its burning a hole in your ass. keep workin', maybe you'll get there some day.