Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry but I think you are getting obsess with this, I have used and will continue use pop ups, properly installed they work
Old 02-11-2010, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

With that kind of snow or any snow for that matter, does it really matter if you have popups or not. No. The friggin water will run off the roof and find its way to the footing. Pop ups were created for people to get water off of their front walkway. No they don't work well in winter, tell Helen to disconnect it before freeze up and let nature do what its going to do. Pop ups are for non frozen conditions only, rest of the time who cares really, the snow will melt and will find its way to the lowest point.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't come to this site often, but when I do I usually end up with a sledge hammer in one hand and a dead blow in the other, wondering which one to hit myself with.

If you think homeowners should never worry about maintanence issues on thier own homes, use the sledge on yourself.

Pop up are fine to use, they have a downside just like every other method. Use the right tool for the right job and use it correctly.

Since most people on here are from the northeast part of the country and your argueing popups vs daylighting, I have to assume your behind the times.
Here in Nebraska, we don't think of ourselves as cutting edge or trend setters, but these are the rules we have to deal with right now. To bury a drain that originates from the roof, you must be a licensed to lay sewer pipe and get a permit to bury it. Why, you ask, because they don't want your water (if it landed on your property, it's yours) to run into the streets, sewers, stormwater system or your neighbors yard.
If you have a pond or pool, it must have a drain connected to the stormwater system. Why, you ask again, neighbors, erosion and lawn chemicals.

The pop up arguement is good for today, but you should be thinking about how your going to keep that water on the property until it soaks in.

Yes I understand that this doesn't apply to every yard in every market, but the majority of people have neighbors right next to them.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Installed properly with a way for the water to exit if the popup malfunctions then they are fine. This can be done in several ways.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

1) Why is the downspout connected directly to the lateral drain? If there's a gap between the two then there's almost no chance any frozen water would go up the downspout. You would have to have a lot of snowmelt during very cold conditions for that to happen--most of the water will simply spread out at the base of the downspout. (Even if they're connected, the water will probably leak out downspout seams anyway.

2) I don't see how the popup greatly increases the likelihood of the drain line getting clogged with ice. If it's draining to any relatively flat area, you still could get ice at the end, and, more likely, inside the drain line. That happens either way.

So there may be good reasons to avoid popups, but ice strikes me as either avoidable or unavoidable either way.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

lay your pipe deep and drill holes on the lowest part. if you install gravel under it that seems to help with standing water freezing as quickly.

i dont use pop ups, i break too many with the mowers

and as drewguy said, never connect dirrectly to the gutter down spout. there should be a freez gap, i normaly install the 9 inch catch basin, and allow the gutter to free pour into it
Old 01-11-2011, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well it's time for my annual winter revisit of this thread. Something I am adamant about.

I have read posts in this thread and I have read posts here at Lawnsite and at other internet forums stating stuff along the lines of "if the client does some maintenance, pop ups are fine".

To prove my point that we homeowner's neglect things I have come across a prime example of how neglectful we CAN be.

In our area, we have had a large amount of house fires in December up to current. I am blown away at the fact of how many houses DID NOT have WORKING smoke detectors.

Here is a quote from today's Frederick News Post: "McNeal said there was a smoke alarm in the house but that investigators don't believe it was working"

People forget to replace their smoke alarm batteries!! For those of you that think a homeowner is going to maintain a freakin pop up emitter. GET REAL, they're NOT going to do it, they don't even maintain their smoke detectors!!!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Can any of you fine folks tell me of an issue you have had with the performance of a popup? I have googled the subject and I find nothing. I have installed them for years and no issues.

DVS you are trying to persuade us not to use them. The burden is on you to prove that popup emitters should not be used. Why don't you move beyond the hopothetical into real world examples of where popups failed. Let's seem some examples, damage, etc. I have googled this very subject and I find nothing, let alone enough examples to make a case.

Maybe, if you provide some verifiable, real world examples, folks will begin to take you seriously.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My issue is not with pop-ups but with under ground drainage pipes in the winter that are connected to pop-ups. When the ground freezes the water has no where to go and ends up freezing at the downspout thereby causing damage to the surrounding area ie, brick or the downspout itself. Its very common up here. I hate using them and do warn my customers that there isn't a grand cure for removing water other than positive grading. I have in the past installed them but the owner had a very nice system of collecting the water which was basically a wide "tub" at the bottom of the downspout. Now it only worked when the ground was not frozen, about 8 months a year.
Attached Images