Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

do i have the wrong idea??????

Im planning on going full time in the spring. I have a New 21 inch push mower that is a bagger mulcher. I am getting a brand new echo weed wacker from my local dealer, and also looking into a back pack blower. If I get a rider to start off with that i own, I can keep my prices down a little bit because i wont have big over head right. I dont want to low ball, my prices but if i dont need as much coming in to pay bills, i should be able to keep charging what is right for me wright.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

sound like you are in the right direction. Dont lowball, but also dont expect to charge asmuch as the full service companies out there either. Your price should be reflective of the quality work you do. if you have less overhead then you can put more into commercial equipment so you can have a more proffesional image and get the bigger jobs. Get insurance and liceanses
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Definitely get insurance.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Let me understand properly your question despite the poor grammar and misspelling.

You want to start a mowing business and are contemplating purchasing a more expensive rider than a 21" walk behind - and despite the higher equipment, maintenance, operating costs you actually want to keep your prices LOWER?

Do yourself and your potential customers a favor - sit down and actually develop a true business model for the market demographic targeted. The public library and internet both have a vast array of info on how to do this correctly. Then and only then should you contemplate pricing so you have a firm grasp of what your true operating cost will be.
The idea that all you want to do is cover expenses is idiotic since that means you are actually operating at a loss. And Yes, no profit margin equals net loss. Remember profit is not a dirty word, avoid the ridiculous assumption by being more "professional" or having newer equipment that this will magically lead you to higher end accounts.
In short it doesn't - simply due to the low end market you are aiming for doesn't give one ratsass about quality, only price.
You walk into a market like this without understanding your true operating costs = a slow painful economic death for you.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tex is right. Charge what the big companies charge. And do a better job. If you make excess money--you can always give it to charity. (After you buy professional-type equipment). And next year you will want to rent a building to house your company and equipment. You may want to spend about $15000 for equipment next year. and remember every year that equipment drops in value about 20 percent--so--in five years you need an additional $15000 to buy new equipment.
True I did my first job by towing my 22 inch lawnmower behind my bicycle 8 blocks to my first customer's house. But I am thinking you want a pickup truck and a trailer big enough for all your equipment and a 52 inch professional lawn mower, (and no, not a lawn tractor).
Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
Let me understand properly your question despite the poor grammar and misspelling.

You want to start a mowing business and are contemplating purchasing a more expensive rider than a 21" walk behind - and despite the higher equipment, maintenance, operating costs you actually want to keep your prices LOWER?

Do yourself and your potential customers a favor - sit down and actually develop a true business model for the market demographic targeted. The public library and internet both have a vast array of info on how to do this correctly. Then and only then should you contemplate pricing so you have a firm grasp of what your true operating cost will be.
The idea that all you want to do is cover expenses is idiotic since that means you are actually operating at a loss. And Yes, no profit margin equals net loss. Remember profit is not a dirty word, avoid the ridiculous assumption by being more "professional" or having newer equipment that this will magically lead you to higher end accounts.
In short it doesn't - simply due to the low end market you are aiming for doesn't give one ratsass about quality, only price.
You walk into a market like this without understanding your true operating costs = a slow painful economic death for you.

Totally agree. If you build your customer base on cheap customers you end up with constantly trying to replace them and adjusting your schedule. You will build your customer base at a slower rate but you will have a better profit and a better return on your investment. Do yourself a favor and don't take on the bi weekly's or weed lots because the turnover rate with those and the profits are too low to make a decent living.

Dave...
Old 01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are wanting to keep with smaller equipment market yourself to people with smaller lawns and backyards with small gates. You will have less competition that way.

At some point save up around a $1000 for used Walk behind that will fit through gates and then you can do twice as much.
(2) 21' Toro Commercial Kawi's
Echo Srm210- replacing March 2011
6.5x12 Trailer
Kawasaki Hedge Trimmers
Stihl Br320 backpack blower
Stihl BG56C handheld blower
Our business is Debt Free, huge Dave Ramsey Fan