Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Negatives of Chemical Applications

I have been researching the negatives of chemical applications and have not had much luck finding anything. I have been thinking about entering into the organic fertilizer application business. To actually get customers to understand why organic is better I'm going to need to give possible clients reasoning of why chemicals are bad and why the organics are the best alternative.

Thanks for all the responses ahead of time!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well first you should educate yourself about organics - this site is great - all the stuff you need to know is right here - start reading threads on this forum and about a week from now you will be able to ask some more specific questions - this first question is already answered, but it is gonna take you about 100 hours of reading to get your answers in your head to be able to talk to those future clients. It's all right here start reading!
Welcome to the organic side of Lawnsite!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinhuck08 View Post
I have been researching the negatives of chemical applications and have not had much luck finding anything. I have been thinking about entering into the organic fertilizer application business. To actually get customers to understand why organic is better I'm going to need to give possible clients reasoning of why chemicals are bad and why the organics are the best alternative.

Thanks for all the responses ahead of time!
You'll find a lot of info here http://www.beyondpesticides.org/
I don't agree with everything stated there, but I don't always agree with everything I have stated either.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Put this list together a while ago. Links may or may not work, if they don' I am sure you can find the new one that does. This is by no means an all inclusive list of available literature.

Impacts on Microbes & Microbial Communities

FERTILIZERS (Organic & Inorganic)

The effects of chronic nitrogen fertilization on alpine tundra soil microbial communities: implications for carbon and nitrogen cycling

Chronic nitrogen enrichment affects the structure and function of the soil microbial community in temperate hardwood and pine forests

Chronic nitrogen additions reduce total soil respiration and microbial respiration in temperate forest
soils at the Harvard Forest

Changes in Soil Microbial Biomass and Bacterial Community in a Long-term
Fertilization Experiment During the Growth of Maize

Bacterial Community Structure and Diversity in a Century-Old Manure-Treated Agroecosystem

Seasonal changes in soil microbial communities along a fertility gradient of temperate grasslands

Responses of the bacterial and fungal biomass in a grassland soil to multi-year applications of dairy manure slurry and fertilizer

Responses of grassland soil nematodes and protozoa to multi-year and single-year applications of dairy manure slurry and fertilizer

Soil microbial biomass and selected soil enzyme activities: effect of fertilization and cropping practices

Responses of Active Bacterial and Fungal Communities in Soils under Winter Wheat to Different Fertilizer and Pesticide Regimens

Spatial and seasonal variation of gross nitrogen transformations and microbial biomass in a northeastern US grassland

Abstracts

Soil biological quality of grassland fertilized with adjusted cattle manure slurries in comparison with organic and inorganic fertilizers

Fungal biomass in pastures increases with age and reduced N input

Fungal/bacterial ratios in grasslands with contrasting nitrogen management

Soil microbial community responses to dairy manure or ammonium nitrate applications

Chemical and biological indicators of soil quality in organic and conventional farming systems in Central Italy

Application of fresh and composted organic wastes modifies structure, size and activity of soil microbial community under semiarid climate

Structure and function of the soil microbial community in a long-term fertilizer experiment

The role of tree leaf mulch and nitrogen fertilizer on turfgrass soil quality

Long-term effect of mineral fertilizers and amendments on microbial dynamics in an alfisol of Western Himalayas

Ground beetle abundance and community composition in conventional and organic tomato systems of California's Central Valley

Organic and synthetic fertility amendments influence soil microbial, physical and chemical properties on organic and conventional farms

Long-term effects of organic and synthetic soil fertility amendments on soil microbial communities and the development of southern blight

Effects of cover crops, compost, and manure amendments on soil microbial community structure in tomato production systems

WATER

Influence of irrigated agriculture on soil microbial diversity

Response of microbial community composition and activity in agricultural and grassland soils after a simulated rainfall

Flooding effects on soil microbial communities

Microbial Communities in High and Low Recharge Environments: Implications for Microbial Transport in the Vadose Zone

CROP RESIDUES

Redistribution of crop residues during row cultivation creates a biologically enhanced environment for soil microorganisms

Effects of mycorrhizal roots and extraradical hyphae on 15N uptake from vineyard cover crop litter and the soil microbial community

WEEDS

Nitrogen source influences wild mustard growth and competitive effect on sweet corn

Nitrogen Fertilizer, Manure, and Compost Effects on Weed Growth
and Competition with Spring Wheat

COMPACTION & TEXTURE

Nitrogen mineralization and microbial biomass as affected by soil compaction

Microbial Responses to Wheel-Traffic in Conventional and No-Tillage Systems

Compaction alters physical but not biological indices of soil health

Active fractions of organic matter in soils with different texture

GENERAL DISTURBANCE

Microbial community responses in forest mineral soil to compaction, organic matter removal, and vegetation control

Soil microbial community composition and land use history in cultivated and grassland ecosystems of coastal California

Carbon and nitrogen conservation in dryland tillage and cropping systems

Soil Scarification and Wildfire Interactions and Effects on Microbial Communities and Carbon

PLANT COMPOSITION

Invasion by an exotic tree alters above and belowground ecosystem components
Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wanna i wanna i wanna... but I wont.

ok i will...

salts kill microbes.... NOT!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Put this list together a while ago. Links may or may not work, if they don' I am sure you can find the new one that does. This is by no means an all inclusive list of available literature.

Impacts on Microbes & Microbial Communities

FERTILIZERS (Organic & Inorganic)

The effects of chronic nitrogen fertilization on alpine tundra soil microbial communities: implications for carbon and nitrogen cycling

Chronic nitrogen enrichment affects the structure and function of the soil microbial community in temperate hardwood and pine forests

Chronic nitrogen additions reduce total soil respiration and microbial respiration in temperate forest
soils at the Harvard Forest

Changes in Soil Microbial Biomass and Bacterial Community in a Long-term
Fertilization Experiment During the Growth of Maize

Bacterial Community Structure and Diversity in a Century-Old Manure-Treated Agroecosystem

Seasonal changes in soil microbial communities along a fertility gradient of temperate grasslands

Responses of the bacterial and fungal biomass in a grassland soil to multi-year applications of dairy manure slurry and fertilizer

Responses of grassland soil nematodes and protozoa to multi-year and single-year applications of dairy manure slurry and fertilizer

Soil microbial biomass and selected soil enzyme activities: effect of fertilization and cropping practices

Responses of Active Bacterial and Fungal Communities in Soils under Winter Wheat to Different Fertilizer and Pesticide Regimens

Spatial and seasonal variation of gross nitrogen transformations and microbial biomass in a northeastern US grassland

Abstracts

Soil biological quality of grassland fertilized with adjusted cattle manure slurries in comparison with organic and inorganic fertilizers

Fungal biomass in pastures increases with age and reduced N input

Fungal/bacterial ratios in grasslands with contrasting nitrogen management

Soil microbial community responses to dairy manure or ammonium nitrate applications

Chemical and biological indicators of soil quality in organic and conventional farming systems in Central Italy

Application of fresh and composted organic wastes modifies structure, size and activity of soil microbial community under semiarid climate

Structure and function of the soil microbial community in a long-term fertilizer experiment

The role of tree leaf mulch and nitrogen fertilizer on turfgrass soil quality

Long-term effect of mineral fertilizers and amendments on microbial dynamics in an alfisol of Western Himalayas

Ground beetle abundance and community composition in conventional and organic tomato systems of California's Central Valley

Organic and synthetic fertility amendments influence soil microbial, physical and chemical properties on organic and conventional farms

Long-term effects of organic and synthetic soil fertility amendments on soil microbial communities and the development of southern blight

Effects of cover crops, compost, and manure amendments on soil microbial community structure in tomato production systems

WATER

Influence of irrigated agriculture on soil microbial diversity

Response of microbial community composition and activity in agricultural and grassland soils after a simulated rainfall

Flooding effects on soil microbial communities

Microbial Communities in High and Low Recharge Environments: Implications for Microbial Transport in the Vadose Zone

CROP RESIDUES

Redistribution of crop residues during row cultivation creates a biologically enhanced environment for soil microorganisms

Effects of mycorrhizal roots and extraradical hyphae on 15N uptake from vineyard cover crop litter and the soil microbial community

WEEDS

Nitrogen source influences wild mustard growth and competitive effect on sweet corn

Nitrogen Fertilizer, Manure, and Compost Effects on Weed Growth
and Competition with Spring Wheat

COMPACTION & TEXTURE

Nitrogen mineralization and microbial biomass as affected by soil compaction

Microbial Responses to Wheel-Traffic in Conventional and No-Tillage Systems

Compaction alters physical but not biological indices of soil health

Active fractions of organic matter in soils with different texture

GENERAL DISTURBANCE

Microbial community responses in forest mineral soil to compaction, organic matter removal, and vegetation control

Soil microbial community composition and land use history in cultivated and grassland ecosystems of coastal California

Carbon and nitrogen conservation in dryland tillage and cropping systems

Soil Scarification and Wildfire Interactions and Effects on Microbial Communities and Carbon

PLANT COMPOSITION

Invasion by an exotic tree alters above and belowground ecosystem components

Kiril is kind of like the librarian around here - read his links and you will learn more than you will spending hours running through other websites.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
I wanna i wanna i wanna... but I wont.

ok i will...

salts kill microbes.... NOT!
Hmmmm. That gives me an idea for something to look at under the microscope I got for Christmas. JD are you saying there won't be ANY effect on the microbes?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 01-15-2011, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
Hmmmm. That gives me an idea for something to look at under the microscope I got for Christmas. JD are you saying there won't be ANY effect on the microbes?
What kind of scope did santa get you?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Rather than beat a dead horse, let's take another look at the OP's question.

I interpret his post as asking how to best explain negative effects of chemical lawn care to potential residential clients. The average homeowner would more likely listen to potential health and environmental problems than the effect of salt based fertilizers on soil microbiology.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-15-2011, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Just got the new issue of total landscape care. The title of the article is Pesticide PR. I think it is funny they are running articles in professional magazines. Here is a link.
http://www.digitalmagazinetechnology...anuary#page=39