Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-24-2010, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993lx172 View Post
No problem man, what are you planning on going for?

As for keeping the business running while in school, one thing that saved my hide (and my GPA) was putting my yards on rotation, half one week and half the next, and setting up my class schedule so that I can get home at a decent time to get a few yards done on Friday afternoon so that I have a time buffer on Saturday that I can do homework, take my girlfriend out, do maintenance, spend time with my family, allow for breakdowns, and so on. Now since Belmont is a bit closer than Western Kentucky University (where I go) you don't have to deal with an hour and a half trip like I do, you will have a bit more time to get jobs done. Plus since you are running equipment with more production capacity than I do so that helps you to be able to handle more yards in a day thus a larger roster. I would still trim your list down to your best payers, you can never forget SCHOOL COMES FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period. I had a talk with my people at the start of last season and let them know I'll still be there but school will always be my first priority.

As for tossing business your way, no problem. I'm at five now (my highest payers from past seasons) and if I get anymore calls I will only take on another one to three yards and any more than that I'll refer you to them and depending on what they say I'll pm you the information, you have my word on that. I would try to hit up the Mckay's Mill sub-division to get your name in the area.

If you get any in Franklin, keep it for yourself. I'm about at max capacity for my schedule and I'm not going to be in it that much longer, get your name out.
I drive 3 hours to school and back every week. And I'm hoping to have +/- 30 accounts this year. Granted they will be anywhere from 1/4-1 acre (not sure what size your accounts are). Investing in the right equipment is the only way to do it. And I have a gf of over a year now, and still get to party in college, Livin the life baby!
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonsLawnCare View Post
Thanks man!!

I had very similar issues with mine. My Toro had the 7-Gauge deck. The Turbo Force deck was much better, IMO. Go demo a Scag! You have different grass than we do up here in Tennessee. I know a buddy of mine lives in extreme southern Georgia, and he has a scag and it runs and cuts like a striped ape!! You should definitely see if you can demo one for a day. Best of luck!

Thanks!
Thanks man. I sure love your scag but I can't use a 52", I would like to get the 48" with a 23 kohler.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

heeey, 1993lx172 ic you go to western kentucky. I am really good friends with a professor there, are you by chance in any of the agriculture dept?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey,

I'm in college. I'm taking 13 hours now, but in the fall I'm taking 20 hours of hard courses so I'll see how that goes. As for right now, it is manageable. I'm going for a double major in Civil Engineering/Computer Science.

Good job. Getting the right equipment to complete the job is key to your success. I have 2 ZTRs and need them both.

P.S. put some 20s on that truck.
T270 Shindaiwa Trimmer
RedMax Trimmer
M242 Shindaiwa Multi Use with pole saw & hedge trimmer
Echo PB620 BP Blower
EB 630 Shindaiwa BP Blower
14' Tandem Axle Trailer with racks
Old 03-25-2010, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
heeey, 1993lx172 ic you go to western kentucky. I am really good friends with a professor there, are you by chance in any of the agriculture dept?
Nope, I'm going for a degree in architecture (looking into residential drafting). I have thought about a minor in turf grass management but I think surveying might be a better choice. If I have room for some electives I will look into some of the turf management classes. AMS Department RULES!!!!

Oakwdman:

My last class on Friday gets out about 12:30 and I try to be on the road by one so I don't pull into my driveway until about 2:30-3:00 depending on how bad traffic is going through Nashville. I would like to add a ZTR to my line up (my Deere dealer has given me some very nice numbers that have hurt physically to turn down) but where I live I just don't have the room (even for another Lx series like mine). Plus the numbers my dealer has given me equal almost exactly the cost of a semester, on top of that I just don't have the number of yards to justify the cost. If I had 12 again like I did in 08' then I would pull the trigger on one but with just five what I've got fits my needs.

The old 172 may be slow but it leaves a cut to rival some of the commercial units you all use. And in the 19 years since it came off the line and the 17 since we bought it new, it has more than payed for itself. It has only been to the shop three times in its life and other than a few minor parts it is the most reliable piece of equipment I have ever ran. I'd put a new motor in it before I'd consider buying another mower.

You gotta remember, I'm not going to be in the industry much longer. It just doesn't make sense for me to drop a large amount of money on stuff that will only see another three or four years of use on about five half acre lots.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice photos Dillon, keep it up.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

DIllon everything looks awesome! I wish I was as far along as you. I only have 15 yards right now but im workin on it. Nothing cuts like a scag!! Im glad you got one finally!
7x18 open trailer
2007 scag Tiger Cub w/ bagger
scag 36 inch belt drive
2stihl fs 80
stihl edger
Shini long reach hedge trimmer
Shini 8510 backpack blower
Ford 3930 tractor
Little wonder 9hp walk behind blower
2008Honda hrc self propelled 21 inch
2007 Exmark metro 26 inch self propelled push
Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonsLawnCare View Post
and more..................................................
Hey how well do you like the old scag, I just bought one just like it. I gotta put an engine on though. Im thinking of putting either the 17hp Kawasaki or an 18hp Briggs Vanguard. How good does the 17 Kawasaki do on it? It looks like it stripes pretty well. How well does it do in wet grass? Thanks.

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks great.nice work and setup.Best of luck to you this Year.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 01-16-2011, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck this year.