Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffslawnservice View Post
Dude that great that you payed off the plow already. I did pretty good for those four storms. I was thinking of getting a plow but I only do drives right now and a plow wouldnt make me any more moey really right now so I figured I would wait until next year to get a plow. But I am definitly ready for spring if we get one or two more storms ill be happy.

I made it down there a day late and just went to some of the other class they had down there so I never actually took the ICPI classes but took other classes about the business side of stuff. I think Im going to that MAHTS thing in a few weeks ad will just take some classes about pavers and walls then.

But if you know anyone down anear you selling a dump insert let me kow I am in the market for one.
Yea i hear ya its way to late now to get a plow, i ran 5 snow blowers this year because we have a few large apartment complexes that we clear all the side walks some places take around 35 man hours to clear one place. As far as a dump insert ill look for one but not many guys around this way use them i kno maybe one or two guys that i have seen with dump inserts. HOws the dodge running?

Whats the plans for the spring marketing, new equipment, employees?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmark user View Post
hey check out my pic thread at my new trailer blower and not new truck and see waht you think.
Will do. Trsiler Looks good but I'm not sure about Kawasaki blowers because I have never run one but definitly a good choice with an exmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Yea i hear ya its way to late now to get a plow, i ran 5 snow blowers this year because we have a few large apartment complexes that we clear all the side walks some places take around 35 man hours to clear one place. As far as a dump insert ill look for one but not many guys around this way use them i kno maybe one or two guys that i have seen with dump inserts. HOws the dodge running?

Whats the plans for the spring marketing, new equipment, employees?
Dodge is running pretty good. It is definitly sort of weird to go from a F-150 that struggled to pull my trailer to the Dodge that I almost forget I am pulling it.

For spring I plan on trying to hand out some where between 5k-10k door hangers and I am hoping that these give me a good return because last year I had horrible results with a plain black and white flyer. I also want to get some lawn signs made up because I used one last year and I would put it on an Install job I would do and it worked pretty good. Another thing I plan on doing is where I live there is some community thing in the summer where businesses rent out a table and people come by and you can show them your work and give them a free pen or something. Ive noticed that there are never any landscapers at this and I think I am going to do this.

For new equipment I am definitly picking up hedge trimmer, weedwacker and probably another blower and a Stihl saw. Leaf loader probably closer to the fall. If everything goes right a plow closer to the winter and hopefully by this time next year a bigger trailer. And i am hoping to find a good used dump insert.

Employees I still have my main guy with me and ill probably use him more this year. My other guy that i used every now and then got a job at a hospital so I cant use him unless he is off work. But I want to find someone who knows what there doing and can work every now and then for when I get big jobs.

How about you, anything new, new accounts, how is that dump running?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Will do. Trsiler Looks good but I'm not sure about Kawasaki blowers because I have never run one but definitly a good choice with an exmark.

Dodge is running pretty good. It is definitly sort of weird to go from a F-150 that struggled to pull my trailer to the Dodge that I almost forget I am pulling it.

For spring I plan on trying to hand out some where between 5k-10k door hangers and I am hoping that these give me a good return because last year I had horrible results with a plain black and white flyer. I also want to get some lawn signs made up because I used one last year and I would put it on an Install job I would do and it worked pretty good. Another thing I plan on doing is where I live there is some community thing in the summer where businesses rent out a table and people come by and you can show them your work and give them a free pen or something. Ive noticed that there are never any landscapers at this and I think I am going to do this.

For new equipment I am definitly picking up hedge trimmer, weedwacker and probably another blower and a Stihl saw. Leaf loader probably closer to the fall. If everything goes right a plow closer to the winter and hopefully by this time next year a bigger trailer. And i am hoping to find a good used dump insert.

Employees I still have my main guy with me and ill probably use him more this year. My other guy that i used every now and then got a job at a hospital so I cant use him unless he is off work. But I want to find someone who knows what there doing and can work every now and then for when I get big jobs.

How about you, anything new, new accounts, how is that dump running?
Yea i hear ya on that with not even knowing you have the trailer behind you. As far as advertising for the spring I'm planning on sending out 2500 post cards once in march once in april and then once in june or july all to the same households and see what kind of return i get on that in addition to that i am going to order around 5k door hangers and give them to my guys to keep them busy. We have around some sweet ads running in these golf course ads that go to the 12 richest golf courses around my area put over 2500 bucks into the ads so we better see a good return. Also looking at add a website in july next year and the dump truck is getting wrapped and the trailer is going to get lettered up.

As far as accounts i updated to 2 mil in insurance so im going to hit the phones hard this week calling commercial places trying to place as many bids as i can and see what the out come is, even if i don't get the job now these commercial places know my name and know who i am so hopefully next year i can get it with the. I didn't land the huge account i was trying to get i actually turned it down because it was just too big for me right now it would take a 3 man crew around 3 or 4 10 hr days to cut the place and they would leave no room for other expansion so i passed on that until maybe next year. Employees i have 5 work during the snow storm, one with me i the plow truck 4 guys in the dump. For the spring I added a third guys so the one guy and the new guy are gong to cut grass all day and me and the other guy are going to be doing the mulch and the installs in the dump truck, i hope i have enough landscaping work hat we can do this for the whole season.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont run kawasaki i only run stihl just took it on trade just going to sel it.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Yea i hear ya on that with not even knowing you have the trailer behind you. As far as advertising for the spring I'm planning on sending out 2500 post cards once in march once in april and then once in june or july all to the same households and see what kind of return i get on that in addition to that i am going to order around 5k door hangers and give them to my guys to keep them busy. We have around some sweet ads running in these golf course ads that go to the 12 richest golf courses around my area put over 2500 bucks into the ads so we better see a good return. Also looking at add a website in july next year and the dump truck is getting wrapped and the trailer is going to get lettered up.

As far as accounts i updated to 2 mil in insurance so im going to hit the phones hard this week calling commercial places trying to place as many bids as i can and see what the out come is, even if i don't get the job now these commercial places know my name and know who i am so hopefully next year i can get it with the. I didn't land the huge account i was trying to get i actually turned it down because it was just too big for me right now it would take a 3 man crew around 3 or 4 10 hr days to cut the place and they would leave no room for other expansion so i passed on that until maybe next year. Employees i have 5 work during the snow storm, one with me i the plow truck 4 guys in the dump. For the spring I added a third guys so the one guy and the new guy are gong to cut grass all day and me and the other guy are going to be doing the mulch and the installs in the dump truck, i hope i have enough landscaping work hat we can do this for the whole season.
Yea it might be tough with trying to have enough installs to keep guys working especially in this economy but you never know you might be able to land a few big installs and be busy for almost the whole year. ANd I hear you on not taking on that big account I had the chance to bid a school and church but when I was going over my numbers it would have taken me about 3 days to cut the whole thing and then they gave me a bunch of regulations of when I could cut and when I couldent it would have been sort of crazy so I passed on it.

I remember you were saying you were going to be advertising at a few wealthy golf courses. Hopefully that pays off. I'm trying to advertise to more wealthy people you can say becuase alot of my current customers dont want to pay for anything extra. Non of them want installs and alot dont even want mulch so I want to expand to a different client base. If you ever have the chance and arnt to busy I have a few questions on how to price plowing that you might know. Thats really the only thing I can not price at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmark user View Post
I dont run kawasaki i only run stihl just took it on trade just going to sel it.
Or just keep it around for a back up if you cant sell it.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey jeff, Finally got on here to check out your pics the truck looks great! is that a custom bumper on it? What you getting for mpg it should be around 20-22 right?
6x12 Road King open trailer
Exmark Metro 48
Toro Proline 36 Belt Drive
Lawn Boy 21" commercial 2 stroke
Toro commercial 21"
Redmax EBZ 80001 BP
Redmax EBZ 8500 BP
Redmax CHT 2300 Hedge Trimmer
Redmax BCZ 2610 trimmer
Stihl BG 55
8 HP Push Blower

Solo Operation

My equipment and truck pics:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=283877
Old 01-16-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's Landscape View Post
Hey jeff, Finally got on here to check out your pics the truck looks great! is that a custom bumper on it? What you getting for mpg it should be around 20-22 right?
The bumper is actually off of a utility body truck it is the bumper on one of them. It looks sort of dump on the back but i like it because if i have some idiot rear end me it might help me out in my favor. I think its around that I would have to check, I drove about 60 miles on the highway the other day and the gas guage didnt move but driving around the city here it sucks burns alot more gas.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The bumper is actually off of a utility body truck it is the bumper on one of them. It looks sort of dump on the back but i like it because if i have some idiot rear end me it might help me out in my favor. I think its around that I would have to check, I drove about 60 miles on the highway the other day and the gas guage didnt move but driving around the city here it sucks burns alot more gas.
nice yeah that would really help you if someone rear ended you. I feel the same when i have the pintle hitch on my truck hahaha. So are you going to keep that bumper? Did you tow your trailer with it just for the heck of it yet?
6x12 Road King open trailer
Exmark Metro 48
Toro Proline 36 Belt Drive
Lawn Boy 21" commercial 2 stroke
Toro commercial 21"
Redmax EBZ 80001 BP
Redmax EBZ 8500 BP
Redmax CHT 2300 Hedge Trimmer
Redmax BCZ 2610 trimmer
Stihl BG 55
8 HP Push Blower

Solo Operation

My equipment and truck pics:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=283877
Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey again lol,i know u are talking about getting a new trimmer,hedge trimmer and saw thats kool.how u like the srm 210 i like my echo trimmer its the same thing but mine is the newer version got it in spring of 09 i really like it,and must say for a smaller trimmer its relly great,i trim,even use it as an edger for the walks,drives etc..its great since i dont have an edger and if u dont mind me asking whats ur next trimmer u plan on buying,and keep the echo as a spare,Thanks alot just corious like always haha.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's Landscape View Post
nice yeah that would really help you if someone rear ended you. I feel the same when i have the pintle hitch on my truck hahaha. So are you going to keep that bumper? Did you tow your trailer with it just for the heck of it yet?
Yea I think I am going to keep the bumper on it, no point in putting another bumper on it if there is already one on it. Didnt tow the trailer yet between work snow and other crap I didnt get a chance to hook up the connection for my trailer lights yet.