Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I would like to be able to market some organic activity, without sounding like an enviro-nut, with lots of do-gooder ideas. High sounding academic words, ideas, and concepts, appears like snake oil.

I am hoping for basic common sense ideas, that would appear to the client as a moment of discovery. For exa: We know that good soil structure, produces healthier turf but how can we sell a job to the client, that makes it happen?
The same way you sell any job .... by appealing to their pocket book.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
The same way you sell any job .... by appealing to their pocket book.
You get what you pay for... People that I work for would just as soon pay a standard price for standard squirt and fert, than to deal with a 'pie in the sky' option. Though it may be cheaper.

I have made headway with compost applications, but that is not easy to market to new clients. For the very reason you've just stated...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You get what you pay for... People that I work for would just as soon pay a standard price for standard squirt and fert, than to deal with a 'pie in the sky' option. Though it may be cheaper.

I have made headway with compost applications, but that is not easy to market to new clients. For the very reason you've just stated...
You need to successfully explain how proper landscape/soil management will reduce overall maintenance costs in the long term, saving them money. It is a hard sell to anyone when the initial costs are high.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You need to successfully explain ....
Successfully Explain... You nailed the question exactly...

What sort of lingo, will explain simply?... and understandably?... preferably in 2-3 minutes or less?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Successfully Explain... You nailed the question exactly...

What sort of lingo, will explain simply?... and understandably?... preferably in 2-3 minutes or less?
There is no cue card here Axe. You need to assess the client and temper your presentation to fit.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I would like to be able to market some organic activity, without sounding like an enviro-nut, with lots of do-gooder ideas. High sounding academic words, ideas, and concepts, appears like snake oil.

I am hoping for basic common sense ideas, that would appear to the client as a moment of discovery. For exa: We know that good soil structure, produces healthier turf but how can we sell a job to the client, that makes it happen?
How about this? Pretty simple and straight forward - no fancy words - just common sense.

1234 Any Street hint use an address of a couple of prime properties in the specific marketing area you have targeted!

Have you seen the above lawns in your neighborhood?
Would you like a yard like theirs?

Fill in blank (name of your company) organic-targeted lawn care programs are like no other – because we have filled in the missing link that ‘other’ programs don’t do in their regular fertilization/weed programs. That missing link is called “SEEDING”. Fescue grass is bunch grass. This means it grows in bunches; it does not spread or fill in bad or bare spots. Thin, bare spots and overall damage in turf caused by poor mowing practices, pets, draught, erosion or pests can only be repaired using expensive sod or affordable seeding. fill in blank is all about seeding and we go the extra mile by top dressing the seed with compost. We have the tools (dump truck and top dresser) to do this at a very affordable price. Seeding and compost top dressing is the core of our company and why our programs work better than others. Fill in blank programs can work with your existing lawn care program, or better yet, you can use the entire fill in blank protocol – including mowing services.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I'll bite ... which ones specifically?
A few. I don't care to debate with you on this matter also Kiril. So I'm going to leave it at that.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
You have just listed all the stuff that people do NOT want to hear about... Most people do not believe that CO2 is killing the planet. What most people see from environmental science, is the DNR... Little or no credibility... therefore they don't believe they are hurting a thing.
I don't know. Most people are interested in less risk to their health and family.

And like I said ta the beginning and ending.. it's about great turf at a competitive rate. Bottom line.

As far as the others points I made. If they do not appeal to the customer than any attempt to "convert" them is misspent energy. It would simply be wise to sell the quality and comparable price.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys. Happy 2011. Good discussian here Smallaxe. I think people are hesitant to give away their secrets - which is why your not getting the specifiities that your after.

Here's a few things I've found helpful:

- Focusing on the fact that squirt and fert is an outdated, dying technology and method. Organic is the future and the future has arrived.

- Explaining the difference between working with nature and working against nature and why the former works best

- Turn Organic principles into metaphors that fit your client's unique personality/ interests. eg. I have a customer who is a high profile investment broker with over 500 clients. When he began to lose patience with my organics I asked him how he would respond if his own client's said "hey, I invested with you 3 months ago and haven't seen any gains yet.?" Anything of value takes time and we should be skeptical of anything that doesn't.

Last edited by ecoguy; 01-18-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
A few. I don't care to debate with you on this matter also Kiril. So I'm going to leave it at that.
I see.