Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Member

pro thank you so much for the info. one more question if i could. what is all involved in spring clean ups, besides the obvious, and what do i charge for it. thanks again
Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Starting from the basic. Rake up all leaves, twigs, garbage. Weed out the beds and edge, sell them on mulch and pre-em now. Trim bushes, hedges, ornamentals. Sell them some annual color. Now the lawn. De-thatch as needed. Core aerate, top dress and overseed. Sod may be your only option. Obviously you can do any or all of these services. Limit is usually the customers pocketbook. Do your homework, if you aren't familiar with a piece of equipment, rent and practice in your yard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Starting from the basic. Rake up all leaves, twigs, garbage. Weed out the beds and edge, sell them on mulch and pre-em now. Trim bushes, hedges, ornamentals. Sell them some annual color. Now the lawn. De-thatch as needed. Core aerate, top dress and overseed. Sod may be your only option. Obviously you can do any or all of these services. Limit is usually the customers pocketbook. Do your homework, if you aren't familiar with a piece of equipment, rent and practice in your yard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Excellent Advice!!!! Especially the part about not using a piece of equipment for the first time on a customers property!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=Patriot Services;384......... if you aren't familiar with a piece of equipment, rent and practice in your yard. [/QUOTE]

Yeh, practice on a part that that doesn't show so much.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
Yeh, practice on a part that that doesn't show so much.
Nah! Let the neighbors see you use a ryan sod cutter for the first time. Watched a guy get dragged all over his yard. Sprinkler heads, donuts, cable tv, concrete. Destroyed his yard and then called a professional. Another good tip, always charge more when you have to fix somebody else's hack job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2011, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

LOL too bad ya didnt get a video of that!!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Never even thought about doing a cemetary. Kinda creepy. =) The only advice I can give from what you've posted is on the lowballing scenario. Don't ever lowball. Last summer I bit off more than I could chew by underbidding 2 BIG yards right next to each other. Thought it was a sweet deal being right by each other. One was a friend, so I couldnt just dump him, but trust me, I wanted to. The pain in my elbow from holding a trimmer to do these 2 huge yards wasnt worth any price by the end of the summer. I'll probably need a cortizone shot before spring. Half way through the season I told myself I didnt wanna do his yard for $100/wk. Nothing worse than busting your butt for far less money than the yard is worth.