Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New Residents

I was just wondering if any of you are seeing an increase in new Florida residents in your service areas ? I have been keeping busy this winter with Landscape and Hardscape work but these are all existing customers or folks that have lived here for some time and switched to our company for service.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. I just picked up 2 new full service customers yesterday. Both in Carrolwood a street apart. They moved here from Pa and NC. They are getting clean up and remulching. No problem with year round service. About 4k of turf and small bushes, hedges. One has a pool and will be using me for that as well. They got these houses dirt cheap too. Cut checks for materials down payment. I will be doing them this weekend. I hope this is indiciative of the season. I charged fairly high too expecting to haggle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great, thats what I was hoping to hear !!!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I was just wondering if any of you are seeing an increase in new Florida residents in your service areas ? I have been keeping busy this winter with Landscape and Hardscape work but these are all existing customers or folks that have lived here for some time and switched to our company for service.
Zturn

Two of my customer's Houses that have been on the Market for a long time are starting to move. I am not talking short sales but rather PGI & BSI homes well over $ 500K. It is the extremely well maintained homes I am seeing sell. What I mean is, the homes with the Extras like Electric Storm shutters and Power Lift boat Docks as well as great landscape are the ones selling. But I agree it is nothing like the good times

Juan's Landscaping was my Company that I sold to my employees. They had to change the name because of a Law suit Lawn Doctor put on me. Lately they have send me several new customers after doing complete landscape installs on newly purchased homes. But once again nothing like the good times.

I guess my point is even with over 15% unemployment in our area, we are still working and people are Buying at least a little bit. As established Business we are able to pick off a few good new customers now and again. However I totally understand your fear about No New Customers. Our Economy is based on New retirees with deep pockets. Not to be Cold, BUT we are in God's Waiting Room, those new customers are short lived and must be replaced regularly.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I picked up a few over the summer months and a handful this fall. Most moving into town for a engineering company we have in town, a few pharmaceutical reps, a few that work for Disney or Universal.
I have been able to land a couple of sod jobs because of recently purchased foreclosure homes as well as the basics like mulch etc.
I am not sure about you guys but last year was better than the year before for getting extras...nothing crazy but people were much more likely to go for new mulch, installing plants lost to the frost etc. I already have a couple responding to estimates I have given during the winter off weeks for sod installations in the spring.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Yes. I just picked up 2 new full service customers yesterday. Both in Carrolwood a street apart. They moved here from Pa and NC. They are getting clean up and remulching. No problem with year round service. About 4k of turf and small bushes, hedges. One has a pool and will be using me for that as well. They got these houses dirt cheap too. Cut checks for materials down payment. I will be doing them this weekend. I hope this is indiciative of the season. I charged fairly high too expecting to haggle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Update! Finished this morning with fresh mulch and a few annuals. Yesterday I did the trimming, weeding and clean up. Wife took care of the pool and pressure washing the drives. Both paid in full including Feb lawn and pool service. 1650 end of the day. Two more houses off the market with happy families in them. Forgive my optimism but this year is off to a much better start than last.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2011, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to hear
Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, I had a good year last year, but I have a feeling this year is going to be even better.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I sure hope this year is better than last, as long as we keep picking up maintenance accounts I'm happy.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope this year is better than last as well. I has been good so far.