Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
I eventually bought a Eastman reel mower and have been happy with it thus far, I don't maintain enough bermuda to put it through the paces but after I redo a couple of lawns they will be established with Hybrid Bermuda and they will be maintained with the Eastman. Both the Tru-cut and Cal trimmer have their advantages. For instance, the drive roller on the cal trimmer can be rough on grass that has not been well established, where as the Tru-cuts weight can be rough and the swiveling casters really offer no real advantage, I always keep mine locked.

txgrassguy is correct, the proper terminology is "Bed knife" go ask anybody at a mower shop or a superintendent what a "Reel anvil" is and you will get confused looks, it is a bed knife.

I'm still not convinced that the hayter harrier will provide a clean cut in the long run, a rotary blade will dull much faster than a reel that is properly setup. And by properly setup I mean 1/1000 of a inch between the reel and the bedknife. You could use two feeler gauges for this on each end of the reel.

In conclusion, I would like to say that I still prefer the Eastman Cal Trimmer over the tru-cut in terms of construction and ergonomics. The Tru-cut has a cheap clutch assembly and there are way to many zerks. If I had the money and enough lawns to maintain in my area that were Bermuda, I would have bought a Locke. If you look in the "Post pictures of Bermuda lawns" thread you will find the lawns that are cut by Locke reels are incredibly nice. The floating reel that contours to the surface is found almost exclusively on greens mowers and high quality fairway mowers is found on the Locke. But I could have 3 cal trimmers for the price of one locke.

If you get the lawn level enough and keep a sharp reel, you could keep a lawn looking really good with a entry level reel, cultural practices and proper equipment maintenance is far more important than the mower you use.
For someone without much experience operating reel mowers you sure have a lot of opinions (Chili reference) I have moved away from reels mostly because I have not found a client yet that can tell the difference between a reel cut and a cut with a Walker mower. The reel will go dull in a heartbeat if you hit a decent sized rock. It will come out of adjustment just bouncing around in the back of a trailer. I love reels and I love the reel cut... but as a business man I have to look at the big picture and unfortunately there is little room for reel mowers these days. At least if you are a profit based business. I have not been able to test out the Hayder yet but I have to believe Tx. he seems to have a pretty good handle on the reel picture.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
For someone without much experience operating reel mowers you sure have a lot of opinions (Chili reference) I have moved away from reels mostly because I have not found a client yet that can tell the difference between a reel cut and a cut with a Walker mower. The reel will go dull in a heartbeat if you hit a decent sized rock. It will come out of adjustment just bouncing around in the back of a trailer. I love reels and I love the reel cut... but as a business man I have to look at the big picture and unfortunately there is little room for reel mowers these days. At least if you are a profit based business. I have not been able to test out the Hayder yet but I have to believe Tx. he seems to have a pretty good handle on the reel picture.
Hey Az,
um,,,,, I was the one that made the chili reference. Just so we are clear I didn't give an opinion about operating reel mowers. I shared my experience. Opinions are debatable and up for interpretation. A man's experience is not.
Over the last year I am sure I have made the mistake of typing, I think, or I feel, or It should ad infinitum. It will be, to the best of my ability the exception and not the rule. If I cant lead the sentence with, It has been my experience, if I were you or anybody on this site, I would discount it.
For the record, I am not interested in what anyone THINKS about this or that or whatever the situation is. I AM interested in your experience with, whatever it may be. Most of my adult life, people have demonstrated by their experience, what to do, and what not to do. That's what I'm hungry for.
*shruggin*, I'm just sayin.
harryh@northtexasturf.net
For man, there is no greater burden than potential.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ease up. I was "stirring the pot" yes using your chili reference, but I was referring to a person (who I quoted above, not you btw) having a lot of opinions although they admitted not having much experience with reel mowers.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Ease up. I was "stirring the pot" yes using your chili reference, but I was referring to a person (who I quoted above, not you btw) having a lot of opinions although they admitted not having much experience with reel mowers.
my bad,,,,,, I understand completely. but, I want you to know I apologize for it to come off as I was coming after you as that wasn't my intention at all. Sorry man!
harryh@northtexasturf.net
For man, there is no greater burden than potential.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'm opinionated? That's news to me. I might be investigative, but not opinionated or biased necessarily, that is why I posted this thread. To see which reel mower was best. I have previously owned a homeowner cal trimmer and it cut my lawn like no other, I haven't been able to match the quality of that cut with any rotary. The proof for me is in the pudding.

Yes it is true that I do not have much experience in the lawn care industry, about 4 years. I have used my fair share of reel mowers. I have also damaged my reel mowers enough to tell which ones break easier, tru-cut always is the one with a bent reel. Go to any mower shop and see how many old Cal Trimmers you see compared to Tru-cuts. While reels may be finicky, you don't see anyone mowing golf greens with a rotary do you?
You can have fun sitting on your walker cutting Bermuda at 1.5+ inches while I maintain my Bermuda at the proper height (1/2-3/4) and at the same time encouraging horizontal growth. And while I am a profit concerned business, In the long run I am quality concerned. Part of the reason why everything built today and done today falls apart or is made in China is because "quality isn't profitable" and that goes against my ideals. I'm in this business because it is my calling.

This thread is like any other thread posted here on lawnsite comparing equipment, just go into the "Which backpack blower is best" thread and see the variety of answers. I knew that I would get about 40 different answers when I posted it. That is why I said "I get the feeling I am comparing Nissan and Toyota. But when I comes to reels to rotary's, that is a completely different subject.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
I'm opinionated? That's news to me. I might be investigative, but not opinionated or biased necessarily, that is why I posted this thread. To see which reel mower was best. I have previously owned a homeowner cal trimmer and it cut my lawn like no other, I haven't been able to match the quality of that cut with any rotary. The proof for me is in the pudding.

Yes it is true that I do not have much experience in the lawn care industry, about 4 years. I have used my fair share of reel mowers. I have also damaged my reel mowers enough to tell which ones break easier, tru-cut always is the one with a bent reel. Go to any mower shop and see how many old Cal Trimmers you see compared to Tru-cuts. There are probably about 10 times as many tru cuts produced and sold and still in operation as trimmers so that # means nothingWhile reels may be finicky, you don't see anyone mowing golf greens with a rotary do you? No but like I mentioned as a professional operating a business profit is the measuring stick. If the client can't tell the difference why should I knock myself out shuffling reels to be lapped,sharpened etc. Loosing jobs because my bids are too high. Not to mention and forcing my guys who are busting their azz in 110 + heat to walk behind a 25"-27" mower when they can ride a 48"
You can have fun sitting on your walker cutting Bermuda at 1.5+ inches while I maintain my Bermuda at the proper height (1/2-3/4) and at the same time encouraging horizontal growth. I don't even know how to drive the damn thing, I have not cut a blade of grass in I can't remember how long. I used the cheapo reels from Pro Masters to Mc Clains Trimmers, Tru Cuts you name it for 15 years. You know I have never had a client measure the lawn or ask what height I am cutting at. And while I am a profit concerned business, In the long run I am quality concerned. My avg residential client spends nearly 1-K per month for our service I have several over 2-K so I know a bit about qualityPart of the reason why everything built today and done today falls apart or is made in China is because "quality isn't profitable" and that goes against my ideals. I'm in this business because it is my calling. Good luck with your calling slick

This thread is like any other thread posted here on lawnsite comparing equipment, just go into the "Which backpack blower is best" thread and see the variety of answers. I knew that I would get about 40 different answers when I posted it. That is why I said "I get the feeling I am comparing Nissan and Toyota. But when I comes to reels to rotary's, that is a completely different subject.
grnhed no worries but I have to say everyone in this thread is too uptight.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=Cloud9Landscapes;3862593]I eventually bought a Eastman reel mower and have been happy with it thus far, I don't maintain enough bermuda to put it through the paces but after I redo a couple of lawns they will be established with Hybrid Bermuda and they will be maintained with the Eastman. Both the Tru-cut and Cal trimmer have their advantages. opinion 1 For instance, the drive roller on the cal trimmer can be rough on grass that has not been well established, where as the Tru-cuts weight can be rough and the swiveling casters really offer no real advantage, I always keep mine locked.

txgrassguy is correct, the proper terminology is "Bed knife" go ask anybody at a mower shop or a superintendent what a "Reel anvil" is and you will get confused looks, it is a bed knife.

I'm still not convinced that the hayter harrier will provide a clean cut in the long run, a rotary blade will dull much faster than a reel that is properly opinion 2 and dismissing Tx's consideable experience setup. And by properly setup I mean 1/1000 of a inch between the reel and the bedknife. You could use two feeler gauges for this on each end of the reel.

In conclusion, I would like to say that I still prefer the Eastman Cal Trimmer over the tru-cut in terms of construction and ergonomics. The Tru-cut has a cheap clutch assembly and there are way to many zerks. opinion 3 and 4 If I had the money and enough lawns to maintain in my area that were Bermuda, I would have bought a Locke. If you look in the"Post pictures of Bermuda lawns" thread you will find the lawns that are cut by Locke reels are incredibly nice. The floating reel that contours to the surface is found almost exclusively on greens mowers and high quality fairway mowers is found on the Locke. But I could have 3 cal trimmers for the price of one locke.

And all this from a guy who admittedly has limited experience. I made my post tongue in cheek just to stir the pot. I think the Chili is done.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Okay you are making your self look desperate trying to win this stupid flame war by throwing out non sequiturs and red herrings.
It is quite clearly a fact that both Cal trimmers and Tru-cuts have their advantages, not an opinion. Somewhere on each mower something will be better, let it be something as major as the reel assembly or construction. Or as minor as ergonomics or a bolts tension. That's just simply logic that both have their advantages. Read my posts in this thread and you will see what i like and dislike about each mower.

I agree about tx's experience, but should I listen to him only? What about the veterans of the industry that have worked on golf courses for 40+ years? Should I discredit them because one guy? I have talked to several old time superintendents and they all agree in one thing, that a reels quality of cut is better. And I'm not doubting that Hayter delivers a great cut, but Is that even relevant to the topic?

I don't consider it an opinion when I have had more problems with the clutch on my tru-cut than any of the other reel mowers that I have owned. It is a simple fact that the tru-cut has more zerks than a trimmer. And thus, is one more thing to worry about. On page one of this thread you said the only reason you...eerrrr your crew...stopped using cal trimmers was because of ergonomics and that the drive assembly has a tendency to peel out, which I don't discredit.

And all this coming from a guy who admittedly "has not touched a lawn" in god only knows how long.

I hope you sleep well tonight for "proving" your points on a internet forum. And we all know that arguing on the internet is about a useful as tits on a boar. And that in the end, you will still have your opinion and I will still have mine.

Last edited by Cloud9Landscapes; 01-21-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Tags
eastman , front throw , honda , mower , reel