Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2011, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree with you completely regarding the change in the way CAT does business. I was told they had a pretty good year considering the downsizing of the market. The 20 year agreement with Wacker is further proof of that change. However, the new agreement is also proof that CAT does not intend to exit the market. The new 259 and the testing of their Tier IV SSL/CTL supports this as well.

I think your assessment of the CNH "joint" SSL initiative is spot on. Good breakouts, but huge loss in engine torque, and reduction in aux flows, etc. Case had great differentiation in the engine department, and like you, I think this pulls them back toward the pack. Don't know if I'll get used to calling Case's vertical arms "super boom".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Well I think there is something to it. Remember the discussion we had a couple years ago when said that they were not making money in the compact market. Now they are in a partnership involving their mini ex. The compact market which for years was moving 60K machines a year is now moving around 20K. That isn't many machines for 8-10 oems to share. I would not be surprised to see CAT change how they do business. Perhaps not exit this market but I can see them changing how they approach it like they are doing with their mini ex which is to market someone elses machine or have their machine built by someone else.

On the CASE/NH merging of machines. Like what was already mentioned, not a big surprise. But these two machines target two very different types of contractors. Marketing one machine to both types I think can be done, however I am not convinced yet that these machines did that. I leave for AZ in two weeks to go run them. However looking at the specs I don't see it. It appears to me to be a NH signature machine. The breakout is impressive, not much impressive beyond that at least from looking at the limited information I have seen so far. But have never seen any value in a NH skid steer in my operation either so I am certainly biased.
So would these be CASE series 4 machines after just releasing series 3? That seems weird.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
So would these be CASE series 4 machines after just releasing series 3? That seems weird.

No they are numbered like this SR200 S is for skid R is for radial lift, SV is vertical.

The tracked machines are TR and TV the later is an assumption on my part as I have not seen a machine with that designation.

The numerials represent lift capacity I believe.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
No they are numbered like this SR200 S is for skid R is for radial lift, SV is vertical.

The tracked machines are TR and TV the later is an assumption on my part as I have not seen a machine with that designation.

The numerials represent lift capacity I believe.
I find it interestng that both Case and Terex will share similar nomenclature. Terex is calling their radial skids TSRs- TSR60 and their vertical skids TSVs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i think out of all the skis on the market - why not consolidate and have 6 machines instead of 20? i have no idea the number of skid sold but everyone seems to going together yet a little different to sell there own brand.

One has more HP, the other more lift, the other more break out force. I guess I bought my s650 due to the fact that dealer here in town, service is great, price was good, but my other choices though were deere, NH, and maybe cat.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
The new 259 and the testing of their Tier IV SSL/CTL supports this as well.
The rumor I've heard is Cat is actually looking into using the engine CNH is using in their sslders to meet Tier IV, apparently the Perkins/Cat power plant can not comply.

Typical of Fiat to combine manufacturing products like this all in the same plant using the same processes. Helps keep cost down - just paint one puke throwup orange and the other dog piss yellow and black (sorry, but those color schemes are gross), then slap different brand decals on them. It's got to bother the Case/New Holland dealerships over it knowing there's not enough difference in them to... well... make a difference.

I read that Fiat wants to segregate their CNH division from the rest of their company. Wonder if they are planning on putting CNH up on the market?!?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidsteerman View Post
I read that Fiat wants to segregate their CNH division from the rest of their company. Wonder if they are planning on putting CNH up on the market?!?
Already done....Fiat Industrial S.p.A. is a company into which Fiat S.p.A. (previously Fiat Group) demerged most of its activities not directly related to automobiles at the start of 2011.[2] Fiat Industrial serves as a holding company for the truck manufacturer Iveco; an 89.3% stake in the producer of agricultural and construction equipment CNH Global; and FPT Industrial, which comprises the industrial and marine activities of Fiat Powertrain Technologies.