Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Lefet's Avatar
Lefet Lefet is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
No offense to your TG friend. I am largely unimpressed with the work they do on my customers yards and in my neighborhood. I swear it's blue water and cat litter they put down.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, last year they had nutsedge running wild in some of my yards.
__________________
Lefet Enterprises LLC
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Lefet's Avatar
Lefet Lefet is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,885
And they were being charged a nice piece of change!
__________________
Lefet Enterprises LLC
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
No offense to your TG friend. I am largely unimpressed with the work they do on my customers yards and in my neighborhood. I swear it's blue water and cat litter they put down.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have to agree too SFL. Just something to think about. Most often it seems TG's success is hit and miss and people know this. The ones that seem to go with them year after year are the ones that are most concerned about price or only call after they have a chinch bug invasion. They do not tend to be the ones that are going to care what you can do for their property, they only care about price. Now will your TG be able to help get your name out, for sure, but just be prepared to take the customers in stride.
Take your time finding a good chemical company that YOU like. Most likely if they are consistently doing good work, they are not paying their techs **** wages, and are applying the proper nutrients and their price will reflect it. The customer that does not paying for quality will be with you longer........also when you recommend them to existing clients....your name does not go out the window nearly as often as they will be less likely to screw up than a TG guy.

Just my thoughts. But you are heading in the right direction....any networking is good networking.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 PM
South Florida Lawns's Avatar
South Florida Lawns South Florida Lawns is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 4,781
I think one of my bigger problems is my price, I'm too high. I have a friend that got out of lawn care due to health reasons and he had prices on the high end too, however he was great at selling his services and made it look like the customer was getting a lot for the money. He did excellent work retained customers made money. I am full service and keep up on all my accounts, however I need to get better at selling services to people that are just price shopping.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 PM
fl-landscapes's Avatar
fl-landscapes fl-landscapes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
I think one of my bigger problems is my price, I'm too high. I have a friend that got out of lawn care due to health reasons and he had prices on the high end too, however he was great at selling his services and made it look like the customer was getting a lot for the money. He did excellent work retained customers made money. I am full service and keep up on all my accounts, however I need to get better at selling services to people that are just price shopping.
heres your first mistake, people who are cheap are cheap and you wont change them, move on and dont waste your time because there are plenty of people willing to pay for quality work.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:29 PM
South Florida Lawns's Avatar
South Florida Lawns South Florida Lawns is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 4,781
Well what I meant was to get those people to spend money and up sell them.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,795
I just found an annoying new twist on advertising. I came out of Walmart to hear a familiar alarm blaring. Some doosh from Liberty tax services was posting these little sticky notes on everybodys side window. He was slapping cars so hard him and his buddy were setting off alarms. I had a chat with the walmart manager. Seemd they frown on this practice too. Just had to vent.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
heres your first mistake, people who are cheap are cheap and you wont change them, move on and dont waste your time because there are plenty of people willing to pay for quality work.
Bingo. I don't even bother with these types bc they will beat you up on any service you try to offer them. Best thing is to let the lowballers deal with them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,354
You don't want Customers..You want Good Customers.

You don't want Customers............You want Good Customers.

I think this is where beginners and Large companies get in trouble. They take everyone as a customer. There are a bunch of Cheap people out there who don't want to pay the going rate and they want Disneyland results. Your real job as a salesman is to QUALIFY the customer.

I have multiply Credentials Framed on the wall above my Desk. But what makes me a real professional is my willing to use two Phrases. The First is ""I don't Know"" some times followed by I will try and find out for you. The Second is a simple ""NO"". Of course my point being we can't know everything and we can't make everyone happy so why deal with the PITA.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
You don't want Customers............You want Good Customers.

I think this is where beginners and Large companies get in trouble. They take everyone as a customer. There are a bunch of Cheap people out there who don't want to pay the going rate and they want Disneyland results. Your real job as a salesman is to QUALIFY the customer.

I have multiply Credentials Framed on the wall above my Desk. But what makes me a real professional is my willing to use two Phrases. The First is ""I don't Know"" some times followed by I will try and find out for you. The Second is a simple ""NO"". Of course my point being we can't know everything and we can't make everyone happy so why deal with the PITA.
Good Points
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.10242 seconds with 9 queries