Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I've wondered this myself. I didn't think sod would send roots down while it's dormant... ]

Local high school just a couple blocks from me had sod laid, a LOT of it in mid december. followed by NO water for 2 or 3 weeks. I saw one one warm day a few weeks back they had the irrigation on, but there looked to be broken lines or missing heads as the water was just flowing out of the ground by the sidewalk near the road for several hours. Go low bidder!

I'm curious to see the outcome in april. I don't think it's going to matter much, they won't care for it anyway. What was laid last summer half died by fall because of too much water, than not enough, then letting it get a foot tall before mowing, then cutting at like 2". What a huge waste of MY money!!!
Stupid tax sucking 'educators'... even too stupid to know what gov't waste even means... whine for more money...

I would start talking as a professional that let's the whole communitee know that there is a better way...
Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes , the ground is frozen. Still some snow on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm surprised they found some, I'm waiting on Virginia sod
and was told they wont be cutting any till the first of March, must have gotten it from the Eastern Shore. Personally don't like shore sod its to sandy and seems to burn out quicker in the summer
Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure where you are located, but here in NC it gets cold in the winter with some warm days still mixed in. Just because it's cold doesn't mean the roots aren't doing anything. Now it the ground is frozen solid that's another thing. If it's bermuda it will just sit there until it warms up and start growing.

Is it new construction? If so it is a lot cheaper to lay the sod after the crew has been there installing plants and grading the area. They would need to have some type of erosion control regardless. So either rye, sod, or straw.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If its bermuda it will be fine...

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Tags
grass , sod , winter