Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Which base do you prefer to use on sod installs?
I prefer Muck Based Sod. 5 83.33%
I prefer Sand Based Sod. 1 16.67%
I do not care I go with what is cheapest! 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
I am sorry to hear about you experiencing this Ric. I know that part of the business can be a very rewarding one. It is apparent that you can make a fortune from it when you go to a nursery like the one that is close to my house and they sell for 50 to 100% more than the wholesalers do. And there are guys around here that will buy there, install and still turn a killing.

There are many nurseries around here that you can tell the economy has did a number on, so maybe Charlie was a blessing in disguise, as you are fortunate to have a successful operation now.
I am not sad Michael

In fact I am glad now because I only have me to worry about and not 20 people. after the Hurricane property soared and I sold at the Top just before the bust. Today I look at all the debunk nurseries and think I got out easy. For two years I did nothing until my investments went sour. I down sized my living arrangement and resat for the L&O and GHP certs and started part time to supplement my income. Now my investment seem to be doing better and I am planning on getting out of L&O and doing only GHP.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I am not sad Michael

In fact I am glad now because I only have me to worry about and not 20 people. after the Hurricane property soared and I sold at the Top just before the bust. Today I look at all the debunk nurseries and think I got out easy. For two years I did nothing until my investments went sour. I down sized my living arrangement and resat for the L&O and GHP certs and started part time to supplement my income. Now my investment seem to be doing better and I am planning on getting out of L&O and doing only GHP.
GHP huh. I had to do a google search to figure out what you were talking about. So would that be considered termite protection too or is that something you can already do with the L & O? I know it must be a high margin treatment because when I looked into doing termidor around my house vs the cost of having a company do it I know there appeared to be a nice margin there.

Is that market as big down here? It seems like I know lots of people that use someone for their lawn - but only a few that have the inside of their property done. The PCO that I work with only has to enter the property once a year if they are doing the pest control on the outside unless there is a issue- so I am assuming the margin is nice.

The biggest issue I see with doing the inside of peoples house is ....well you have to go inside there house....and FL has a unusual group of people.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
GHP huh. I had to do a google search to figure out what you were talking about. So would that be considered termite protection too or is that something you can already do with the L & O? I know it must be a high margin treatment because when I looked into doing termidor around my house vs the cost of having a company do it I know there appeared to be a nice margin there.

Is that market as big down here? It seems like I know lots of people that use someone for their lawn - but only a few that have the inside of their property done. The PCO that I work with only has to enter the property once a year if they are doing the pest control on the outside unless there is a issue- so I am assuming the margin is nice.

The biggest issue I see with doing the inside of peoples house is ....well you have to go inside there house....and FL has a unusual group of people.
Mikey

General Household Pest and no Termite and Fumigation are two other separate certification I had at one time. Termite Insurance is sky high and now with little of no construction for pre-treats not worth paying the Insurance on.

L&O as I have explain many times before is for PESTS OF PLANTS ONLY. Fleas, Ticks, Ants, Roaches, Bees, and the Biggie right now BED BUGS are pests of animals not plants and are covered under the GHP License. Many People Call this Structural Pest control but Florida Calls it GHP.

GHP has a Chemical cost of about 3 to 4 % of the normal cost to the customer. However GHP accounts might be harder to get than L&O. Also missed appointment because a customer is not home becomes a problem. However in my area we are about 75 % retirees who are home all the time.

The smallest Termidor comes in a 20 oz bottle. It takes 0.8 oz to cover 160 lineal Ft of Perimeter. That works out to about $ 3.50 to give 6 months perimeter control on the average house I treat. I charge $ 300 a year for GHP on the average home. In most cases Termidor twice a year is all that is needed.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.