Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2003, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

don't buy the Chevy,believe it or not gmc has a much better resale.all the dealers buy the vehicles for the same price,it is true that a gmc is a few hundred more but your going to live in this thing for a long long time.seems to me you really like the gmc but are trying to save a few bucks,which i can understand.but for a few hundred bucks?spend the extra and get what you want,remember your going to own it for a long time.don't forget the Chevy dealer in your area can do the warranty work on a gmc,if thats what your worried about as far as being an hour away from your gmc dealer.don't have the dealer install the dump,thats a good part of his profit.chance's are he's buying it from the distributor and hour away from you--which happens to be less than 5 min. from the gmc dealer you don't want to drive to see,so your new Chevy will be driven there and then back.give the gmc dealer a reasonable profit (you don't work for free,why should they?)then call the distributors and have them put the body on,they'll sell it to you for the same price as the dealer gets it for.tell the gmc dealer to add that price to the loan and they"ll make all the arrangements for you.if you have any questions let me know,buy the way, i just started my lawn care business this year,before this i was in the car business for 14 years and until 4 months ago i was the general manager of a gmc dealership.

hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like the front of the new Chevy's either. But for that price I'd learn to love the front of it.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey John, thanks for the advice. I did know that I can get the GMC serviced at the Chevy dealer but will they really take care of me seeing its not from them?? Its not that I hate the Chevy I just don't like change I guess LOL!!! Took me a while to get used to my 2001 Chevy but I love it now. I'm going to look one more time today. As far as the dump goes its already on the truck they had them outfitted already. I did some pricing and what they are charging is right in line with what I'd have to pay to get one on my own.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the new look, takes some time but I think it look pretty good.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

you won't have a problem with them servicing your truck.it used to be that dealers made most of thier money on what they call the front end(meaning the sale of a vehicle itself)but now its so price competitive out there the real profif is made in the back(service dept.)gm as well as all auto makers pay the dealer full retail price for both parts and labor,the going rate for labor is about $70 an hour and a hugh mark-up in parts.plus they get very little grief from the auto maker about what needs to be fixed or replaced,its up to the service manager's discresion in most case's.besides that its alot easier to get gm to ok a $1200-$1500 service bill than it is to get the customer,some of them think everything should be covered no matter the milage or how long they have owned it.when i was general manager if we couldn"t get the sale of the vehicle we did everthing we could to get the service work,truth be known if it wasn't for the service end and all the other perks the auto makers give the dealer most of them wouldn"t bother selling new,its like mowing a acre for $5.00,whats the point?one other reason they like service work------the checks are always good and they don't have to chase you for thier money--------to bad we didn"t have a deal like that huh?

good luck!
Old 03-30-2003, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

This truck sounds like a really good buy for $26,000. A lot of features for the money. I have a Chevy 2001 HD 2500 4x4 with the 6.0 liter engine that does real well and gets 16-17 miles per gallon empty with the 4:10 rear and 5 speed manual transmission.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought it. (Sorry John B). The deal was better than the GMC and saved me a ton of driving. The looks have grown on me and I actually do like the looks now. Color is red. I'll post some pics tomorrow its too dark to take pictures now. Thanks for all your advise guys!!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LB- Good luck with your truck, I wish I could have found a deal like that. Mike