Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 AM
LawnSite Member

What to buy Bobcat, Case, or Cat skid steer

I need help on this on guys we are going to buy a new skid steer but not sure what to get. We have nocked down to three first Bobcat A300 my dream but very $$$. 2 is a CAT 252 or 262. 3 is a case 430. Nomatter what we get it will have to have a full cab pilot controls and heat. We will be useing it for Hardscaping and snowremoval. Any input would realy helpe thanks for your time.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a 262 before my 289C and the 262 was great
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It always amuses me when I see these kinds of posts, "What brand of skid steer should I buy?" or "What kind of truck should I buy?"

Doesn't anybody have a mind of their own? The answers you are going to get will be as varied and different as the people that reply, everyone has their favorite brand.

After owning a Case track unit and currently owning a Cat MTL I will swear by the Cat until the day I die, but KSSS's opinion is completly opposite of mine.

Bobcat Ron was a Bobcat guy until he owned and Cat, then he was a Cat guy until he owned a Taki. (which greatly disappointed me by the way) but the Taki had more power for the size of the machine that he needed.

My Cat works for my needs but I will be the first to admit that if I was working in different conditions I would get a CTL instead of an MTL............Cat of course.

I've owned two Case skids in the past and I have no problems with them but they are not as comfortable and as engine accessable as the Cats. These were important issues for me, they might not be important to you. These are the kinds of things you need to figure out for yourself.

For me, price is the lowest priority. After owning 4 diferent units in the last 6 years I wound up with the most expensive machine because that's what it took to meet my particular needs and to put a smile on my face.

Do your homework, demo each unit, ask intelligent questions and then decide which is best for you, your needs, and your budget.

By the way, do a thread search, there are dozens of threads on this same subject, one of them is five threads down from yours at the moment

2013 Cat 299D XHP

Bobcat Flail Cutter
84" Custom Built Scarifier
84" Custom Built Mini Dozer Blade/Grapple Bucket
84" Custom Built Ripper/Ring Roller
84" Level Best Dual Slope Box Grader with Power Masts

http://happytrack.com/html/track_0.html
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cat 262C's are very popular here with the Bobcat haters, I sold some of my attachmetns to a company that has 4 Cat's, and they hate Bobcat.
And I also sold a customer on a 216B Cat, he wanted a small skid steer with pilot controls, and he hated Bobcat's rowing oar system.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a new S650 BOBCAT. First is comfort and needs of operations. Second is easy of maintance which is oil, filters, hydro etc. Third is service if I need it. Fourth is be happy with unit but to achieve that you need to demo the machines, look each over and make the decision.

I have had sace machines in the past and one other BC machine. Reasoning for going with BC again was he is in town, a new machine, Cat has a dealer in town but it was hard getting a machine to demo, etc. I have a NH dealer in town but don't like there skids.

Really either choice you make of the above listed machines - i think you'll be happy. Lastly - no worry about price. There comparable but you and your operation come b/f price if you ask me for a machine that you put hours on and living inside the cab!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get the A300, we have one and we love it. Ours is a 2005 model. Yes its expensive (about $10000 more than the S300 just for the all wheel steer feature) but it is well worth the extra $$$. You wont rip up lawns thus saving you money and you wont rip up driveways. Also our machine still has the original tires on it soooo, how much does a new set of tires cost? If you run a normal skid a lot on tar you will probably have to replace the tires every year, maybe year and a half. Not with the A300.

Best part about the A300 is by the flick of a switch you can just put it in to skid steer mode if need be. The machine has plenty of power and it has 2 speed allowing you to go 12mph. Great for plowing. I would suggest demoing one, you will love it. Also look in to the new A770 its the new M series replacement for the A300.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love the A300 as well. Doesn't tear up yards. Tires last 1000hrs. It makes a large machine very nimble.

i had a 262B for awhile. I wasn't really impressed with it. Before that I had a 248. I really liked the 248. It seemed to perform better and faster than the 262. Even seemed to pick up the same amount of weight.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Demo each model and compare. A300's are discontinued now unless a dealer has some still on the lot. The new A770 will replace it.

Since nobody has a A300 style machine to compare, I think we just found your winner. Congrats now go buy one.

You should be able to find some used units on the market. Used equipment is holding higher prices right now. New equipment prices keep going up which is helping that.

Some old customers are short with small arms so roaring oars would not be a good idea.

They have kits for this issue. Phone books to sit on, Wood blocks for left and right pedals and sticks for the levers.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 430 S-3 is a solid machine.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.