Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-04-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Questions about grading???

I am meeting with a home builder this Monday and he wants to discuss grading and levelling for a new home division in my area. I haven't worked doing grading on new homes and was wondering the steps to accomplish this. If anybody had the time to explain it to me it would be muchly appreciated. From excavation of basement to rough grade and final grade. I have about 1000 hours on my machine and feel very confident but am just unsure as to what they might expect. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
I am meeting with a home builder this Monday and he wants to discuss grading and levelling for a new home division in my area. I haven't worked doing grading on new homes and was wondering the steps to accomplish this. If anybody had the time to explain it to me it would be muchly appreciated. From excavation of basement to rough grade and final grade. I have about 1000 hours on my machine and feel very confident but am just unsure as to what they might expect. Thanks.
What they will expect is variable but here this is what a builder would expect. Excavate basement (usually 9' walls with 10' footings), dig in utilities, here some want water and sewer hooked up others will have a plumber do the connections. Backfill/rough grade foundation and final grade the home. Equipment used here, backhoe or preferably exxcavator and or loader/SSL/CTL type machine.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as rough grading and final grading goes how specific should the builder be. What would you consider a rough grade and what is considered a final grade.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
As far as rough grading and final grading goes how specific should the builder be. What would you consider a rough grade and what is considered a final grade.
The biggest issue we have here is how far from the house does the grading include. Some of the subdiv. here maybe like you, the lots are 1 acre and larger, so make sure you clarify how from the house the grading is to extend.

The rough grade is basicly just smooth so that works can drive and work around the house without issue. It has to be a postive grade away from the house of course.

Final grade is basically ready to landscape. Make sure that you clarify who is providing topsoil if not enough was generated during excavation.

Also not mentioned earlier is clarify if they want the entire foundation hoe packed along with utility trenches. Also clarify if you are preparing surfaces for concrete placement and what that will entail IE type of material to be used, compaction and to what degree of accuracy.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.