Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the plan was to drive down orchard property prices so they could be scooped up by stucco box developers. Another sad chapter in this states role in the housing debacle.

Ric- I like the Ft Liquordale, I have always referred to it as Ft Crap-in-a-pail, the winter destination for New York's homeless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Sounds like the plan was to drive down orchard property prices so they could be scooped up by stucco box developers. Another sad chapter in this states role in the housing debacle.

Ric- I like the Ft Liquordale, I have always referred to it as Ft Crap-in-a-pail, the winter destination for New York's homeless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Patriot

Citrus is a big part of Florida's Inland Economy and tax base along with Cattle. I don't thing people realize how Big Agriculture in Florida actually is. IMHO The State was scared to death of losing the Citrus industry to Brazil which BTW Imports eating Oranges to my local super market. This was a case of Over Action by all parties involved.

In Edit

Ft Liquiordale is not mine. It comes from the 1960's and early 1970's when Spring Break was Ft Liquiordale. BTW the Gran Prix was also raced Sebring back then and during Spring Break

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Last edited by Ric; 01-30-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Almost my customers here just let it fall to the ground and let it sit there rotting away.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Almost my customers here just let it fall to the ground and let it sit there rotting away.
Guilty as charged your honor.

Yep After a few of picking up oranges you just get tired. My trees are very old and tall. I only pick what is at chest level when I do squeeze them.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like running over fresh ones, beats the smell of running over fresh dog shiz.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2011, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Tallrick

I believe it was Ft Liquiordale North to the Treasure Coast that the Gestapo showed their best work. I was told each tree crew was assigned a State trooper and any homeowner who argued had to appear before a judge. The interesting thing was in my area the State reimbursed homeowner with a $ 50.00 Gift Certificate from none other that WALLY WORLD. I have alway had a hard time accepting that one as not being a Pay off deal of some kind.

Bottom line of the Big Canker scare. 85% or more of the trees had a curable fungus and were misdiagnosed. You hear nothing about Citrus Canker today.
Once the canker cutters started their destruction I promptly dug up my trees and moved them to a lot I own in Hendry county. There mixed in with pines and oaks the trees survive to this day. When the citrus cutters came they found manchineel trees where the citrus trees were. One had a bad reaction and had to be removed by fire rescue after I pointed out that the tree was not citrus but a highly toxic protected native. There was no state police or sherriff present during their visit. Another friend took my advice and we moved his 50 year old grapefruit tree under the screened in patio. On my roof I had over 40 trees I grafted and grew during the canker scare. I knew then the canker campaign was a scam. Glad to know that others agree. The sad thing is that a huge variety of heirloom citrus and wild pollenated trees were lost.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tallrick

I have never been successful transplanting a mature Citrus Tree. Of course young trees are no problem.

As I stated above, The Canker Scare really went bad and a curable fungus was mistaken for Canker

Old 02-05-2011, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Tallrick

I have never been successful transplanting a mature Citrus Tree. Of course young trees are no problem.

As I stated above, The Canker Scare really went bad and a curable fungus was mistaken for Canker
The secret is to transplant in the winter. I was able to capture the mycorrhizal fungi along with the roots because my citrus was in my yard, which has no grass only mulch and compost. The trees ranged from a Key Lime 3" in trunk diameter (36" above ground) to the seedling sour orange tree 6" in diameter. Only the queen pineapple orange tree died from moving. I felt like a drug smuggler with a car trailer filled with 5 citrus trees driving up Krome and US-27 at 1AM. A temporary pump from a drainage ditch kept them watered and they took 3 years to flower and fruit again.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The secret is to transplant in the winter. I was able to capture the mycorrhizal fungi along with the roots because my citrus was in my yard, which has no grass only mulch and compost. The trees ranged from a Key Lime 3" in trunk diameter (36" above ground) to the seedling sour orange tree 6" in diameter. Only the queen pineapple orange tree died from moving. I felt like a drug smuggler with a car trailer filled with 5 citrus trees driving up Krome and US-27 at 1AM. A temporary pump from a drainage ditch kept them watered and they took 3 years to flower and fruit again.
Tallrick

a 3 inch caliper tree is not a Mature Tree and can be transplanted all day long. I am not sure what you did to throw your trees into shock and not to bloom.

Sour Orange is a different story and very hardy. That is why they are used as root stock