Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Member

best 36 for bermuda

I have a few bermuda and zoysia lawns. I am looking for a 36 to 42 used walk behind to mow them. This mower will be used on some fescue so a floating deck is a must for quick deck change. We have most brands sold here but toro exmark scag and gravely seem to be the most common. Do you guys have a preference for the warm season grass...
Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The toro 40" floating deck contours bermuda probably better than any mower I've ever used, including their 36" deck. The shorter blades allow a short wheelbase which helps as well as the good match between the wheels and deck width. The downside is it doesn't handle wet tall fescue as well. You would have to remove the baffles to do that.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks bruno. Spent half the day reading old post and was coming to the same conclusion. T-bar controls plus the short wheel base makes this a fisrt pick. I may have access to a walker walk behind but theres not much input on them...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know I am going to get kicked in the groin for saying this, but the best cutting 36" I have owned for Bermuda is my Quick 36. For a rider I will say my Walker MT. The Quick 36 is so short from rear tires to front tires it follows the ground very nice.

Let the Dawg piling begin but that is my opinion on the best cutting 36 for Bermuda.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Same here on the Quick 36. Cut is much better than my 36 inch scag fixed deck, though i have not compared my quick to a 36 with a floating deck.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best cut for bermuda and zoysia? A reel mower plain and simple, not altogether very productive, but will cut far nicer than a rotary. If I was to choose a 36 inch I would find something that contours the ground.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I know I am going to get kicked in the groin for saying this, but the best cutting 36" I have owned for Bermuda is my Quick 36. For a rider I will say my Walker MT. The Quick 36 is so short from rear tires to front tires it follows the ground very nice.

Let the Dawg piling begin but that is my opinion on the best cutting 36 for Bermuda.
I think the Quick36 might do very well for the same reasons I mentioned. Short blades, short length. My only concern is that I mulch and it lacks a fully baffled mulching kit and there's no way to demo one to ensure its block off plate system wouldn't leave windrows. But the fact that its barely bigger than a 21" and relatively low cost makes it a good choice for smaller bermuda lawns if you can get by bagging or discharging. I think the problem with lusher taller grasses and clogging won't be a problem with bermuda.

Do you feel your Walker can handle moderate hills around residentials w/o big issues? I don't do anything extreme, just anything a midmount can do w/o sliding, but I don't have any experience with an outfront design machine. I love the idea of the light fully articulating deck in a 42" width.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
I think the Quick36 might do very well for the same reasons I mentioned. Short blades, short length. My only concern is that I mulch and it lacks a fully baffled mulching kit and there's no way to demo one to ensure its block off plate system wouldn't leave windrows. But the fact that its barely bigger than a 21" and relatively low cost makes it a good choice for smaller bermuda lawns if you can get by bagging or discharging. I think the problem with lusher taller grasses and clogging won't be a problem with bermuda.

Do you feel your Walker can handle moderate hills around residentials w/o big issues? I don't do anything extreme, just anything a midmount can do w/o sliding, but I don't have any experience with an outfront design machine. I love the idea of the light fully articulating deck in a 42" width.
About the only negative I have with the Quick is its mulching ability. It will leave a small line of clippings in normal conditions. I use it on small areas so this is not too big of a problem for me, although I would love if they would make a deeper deck with full mulch kit.

The negative with my Walker MT is that it sucks on hills. It will back up telephone pole but will slip on a fire ant mound. I have a Dentist and Optometrist office that has ditch in the front that is not a steep slope, but I have to hit some areas just right or I will slide to the bottom. I have heard that the low profile wide tires really help.