Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2003, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

This is MORE LIKE IT!!!!!!!!

I wrote on another thread a while back about being depressed over my lack of accounts in my first "full time" year.

I spent money on a pennysaver ad, put out almost 600 flyers, and did telephone pole advertising. 4 accounts from all that as of the first of this week.

I already had an account before I started advertising from a guy I used to work with. When I told him I was going into lawn care he told me I could mow his lawn and he would pay me $25. I told him OK sight unseen (he said it took him 45 minutes with a 21" so I figured 30 with the 36")

The bad part was that it is all the way across town,and not in my intended target area. But it was my first account so I took it.

When I went to mow it the first time today I was interupted by the old lady across the street. Seems she is not too thrilled with her current LCO, and asked for a bid on mowing and installing a small stone wall. I got the wall job, and the lawn may follow.

Then another old guy from down the street pulls up in a pick-up and asks me to bid his lawn. It was smaller than my friends so I bid it at $25 also. Then he said he had another house with a small lawn a few blocks away and I got that job too for $15. (volume discount) and I will do some cleanup for him tomorrow also.

I left there and went to mow the $15 lawn and a guy pulls up with a rental/ soon to be for sale house across the street. He needs it mowed too. $17 a week. Doubled my accounts in one day and anticipate getting an apartment complex that I am bidding on also. Things are starting to look GREEN!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats DL!! It just gets better...
Old 04-01-2003, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When it rains , it pours, eh?

Dave
Old 04-01-2003, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Kind of like a twilight zone episode there for awhile.......
Old 04-01-2003, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many square feet in those $15 & $17 lawns?

Reason I ask, I am bidding below what is recommended by most on Lawn Site. I've established a minimum of $16, and with the really small lawns, I'm finding I make great money on those. And at only $16 per week, it's quite affordable for home owners. I don't think I'll have to worry about people cancelling to save money or asking me to skip on the $16-$20 jobs as much I worry about it with the larger 4k sq ft & up lawns. I'll gladly take on accounts under 2,000 sq ft for $16 per week. Give me all you can find on those. I'm grossing about $65 per hour by myself on these after about the third mowing, including drive time. Of course, I don't hit any level of efficiency until about the third or fourth mowing.

I'm also finding that 90% of my customers are signing up for tack on service, such as weekly weed control in beds and a lawn weed control/fertilization program. My minimum on weed control/fertilization is $32 with 6 applications per year. Weekly weed control in the beds suck the first time, but after that, I walk around the beds with either a hoe or a roundup backpack and it doesn't take long at all. I've been able to increase my mowing revenues on these accounts by about 6% so far this year.

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 04-01-2003, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, those small ones are probably under 3000 sq. foot, don't know exactly how big but they took about 20 minutes each, and it was the first cut (kind of tall and weedy). I'm not gonna turn down $15 for 20 minutes worth of work. I'll take those all day long.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got one that will take probaly 15 mins because the whole cleanup took 1hr 10 min.

I asked for $15 because I didn't know the going rate (just moved here)

Now my price on the lawns are $20