Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2010, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
My question is, Where did MHS come up with the money to do a major renovation like that.

Last I heard they were as broke as all the other schools in IL.
You're right! We are.
It was almost all donated. The school district put less than 6 grand total in the whole thing. A local contractor donated grading and got seed donated. He bid doing the trenching with our tile and donated the gravel. The booster club bought a water canon that can be used on all the sports fields (@ $7000) I donated labor, compost, some special seed (Regenerative Perennial Ryegrass from Barenbrug) and the hydroseeding.
It's the first money they have ever spent on the soccer facilities here, we've been playing on whatever was there before they sprayed on lines before.
We don't have a complex like Bloomington out by the airport!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquis de sod View Post
You're right! We are.
It was almost all donated. The school district put less than 6 grand total in the whole thing. A local contractor donated grading and got seed donated. He bid doing the trenching with our tile and donated the gravel. The booster club bought a water canon that can be used on all the sports fields (@ $7000) I donated labor, compost, some special seed (Regenerative Perennial Ryegrass from Barenbrug) and the hydroseeding.
It's the first money they have ever spent on the soccer facilities here, we've been playing on whatever was there before they sprayed on lines before.
We don't have a complex like Bloomington out by the airport!
Well at least most of it was donated.

Ya, MHS needed a good soccer field and with WIU there, there is probably more kids interested in soccer.

My Mom lives in Tennessee IL. I grew up around the Stronghurst area.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Well at least most of it was donated.

Ya, MHS needed a good soccer field and with WIU there, there is probably more kids interested in soccer.

My Mom lives in Tennessee IL. I grew up around the Stronghurst area.
I'm from Good Hope but teach in Macomb.
We have @ 300 little kids in the Y program, on other fields, and 50-80 play at the high school any given year, boys and girls.
How's business in Bloomington? My son is in grad school at Isu and I get over there once in a while.
One word: Destihl!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

soccor crown

Well I am 6 months too late, HOWEVER, here are some pics shot through fence, of a local middle school soccor field recently constructed by a company experienced at such things. Not local company--about 30 miles away. Has 2 bleachers for about 75 spectators. Has fence, irrigation and scoreboard. No lights. Grass is mostly per rye. It had a few red thread disease spots. Play started about 9 months after seeding.

Look at the visitors team bench in the pictures. I looks about 12 inches tall due to crown on the field. In the first one I am standing. In the second I am crouched at about 24 inches high--the visitors bench looks about 4 inches high.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2010, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not positive, but I think Turf Services built this field. Starting about fall 2009. They have built many fields.

http://turfservicesinc.com/index.htm
Old 02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

there are 2 reasons for drainage. 1 is to manage surface water and one is to manage subsurface water such as a high water table. If you don't have a high water table, drainage 3' - 4' deep is a waste. You deal with surface water near the surface if not at the surface. Surface water is handled very effectively with narrow shallow trenches filled to the surface with sand. a 4" trench with a 2" perforated pipe is plenty if the herringbone pattern is 15' or less. A 6" pipe would probably handle half a football field. At least that is what I was told at Penn State. Obviously soil texture is a consideration. But a typical loam soil doesn't provide enough infiltration to warrant deep drain tiles
Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome aboard tcjim