Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin View Post
DVS... at a loss of words???? It can't be so.

I don't think Steve is trying to argue. We all want to hear what you(DVS) have to say(because we respect your opinion) but we don't need a 5th grade analogy either.

After reading the thread and mulling over it... it seems like it is "hardscape policy" to put drain tile in walls, yet no one ever sees anything come out of the drain pipe?

In Jim's case the mere sight of the pipe is just offensive. Just thinking outloud. Is there any way to create a water path that will not involve a pipe? What about using larger aggregate? What about wrapping it with water permeable fabric? Or if you must have a pipe... what about having it end a foot before the wall ends and just using aggregate so there is not an offensive view of the pipe?

Thanks bud, I understand that

I have some pet peeves about forums.

You can go to any forum and you will find multiple threads about "low ball contractors", "hacks", "fly by nighters". With that said, I am careful of how I disseminate information. Because of my passion for perfection, I want others to learn the correct methods.

Writing "drain tile isn't needed" is a statement that guys new to the industry may take to heart. Steve got upset because I disagreed with that. We all cringe when we hear joe smoe say "well I was reading on the internet and it said ..........."

We have had our own failures with jobs. I make it a point to never get mad or upset. I tell myself to think of it as a learning experience and view it as a positive.

I have repaired work by others. I have been called to properties for a lighting estimate. While there, I walk into the backyard and I come across a beautiful wall or patio that was not done correctly. So human nature kicks in and I take a gander at it, finding what went wrong. And this isn't limited to just me. Anyone that's been in business has all experienced exactly what I just wrote.

In 2009 we did a patio and discovered a drainage problem done by others 7 or so years ago. We had to fix it before we could proceed. Stuff like this makes us all wiser. It opens our eyes to what can and what does go wrong.

Because of what I have experienced. Because of all the classes I have taken. Because of what I have learned from others - I'm a firm believer in the typical drain system used in typical SRWs. Oh! And can I mention we have worked in 4 states plus the district of Columbia?? HAHA - that was funny, I don't care what anyone says

Just like a police officer or a fire and rescue personnel. I have never known a police officer that is not a firm believer in seat belts, because of what they have seen. You'll never hear a police officer say seat belts are worthless. And you'll never see me advise anyone not to use drain tubing or piping.

You have a small, confined area. Make a swale and you defeat the purpose of a wall because of the tight space. Import Clay so water can't get through? That's how storm water management ponds are done......

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

DVS, I haven't been upset about this discussion, it is a discussion, not a arguement.
I stated my opinion and my reasons why I have that opinion. You stated your opinion, but still fail to back it up with your reasons why you think your right.

If you would have put a little effort into the discussion, I probably would have told you that I have drain tile behind every wall. Why do I use it if I don't think it's necessary? Good question, glad I asked myself. I use it because it's usual and customary. Because most people believe everything they are told and never question the "why" it is easier to just use it than deal with the unknowing people following the blind.
Hey Steve, are you the only one to look at this issue for what it is? Another good question I should have been asked. No, I am not. My opinion was confirmed by a engineer in Atlanta that we used on a wall a few years ago. I believe his words were, "if you ever see water coming out of that pipe, run like hell, the wall is coming down.

If you care to share your opinion, with the reasons for it, lay it on me. I am always open to learning from others.

P.S. I mention the states I have worked in, thinking you might reasonably surmise that i'm not a newbie or fly by night in this business.