Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Help, my first time giving an estimate to a condo :-(

Hi guys, I am here very nervous and confused, I got a phone call from a prospective client asking for a price on snow removal and landscaping services for a condo of 30 units in my home town. The problem is that I never wanted to deal with condos, so I told the lady thank you for contacting us but we are NOT taking any new clients for snow removal that we are all set for the year (which is true) I said that I can probably give her an estimate for landscaping, but the lady said that she saw our ratings on Angie's list and want US to go to take a look at the property even if the bid for snow removal will be for next year!!!!!. She insisted so much to the point that I said OK, I'll go to take a look at it, now the problem is that I do not know how to bid on a condo association, I have no idea because I was/ I am not interested in working for condos because they are a PITA.
So how do you guys give estimates/ how do you calculate how much is for snow removal and lawn mowing? etc
Please help I really do not want them as a customers but I do want to be professional and leave a good impression.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

for jobs i dont neccesarily want....i bid high...if i get the job..its at least worth the money...but is this job out of your league? be careful...snow removal..if someone slips and falls.....dont be afraid to turn down business
- Licensed Pesticide Applicator
- 8ft Boss Plow
Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Know YOUR price. Dont try to compare to the markets going rate just to gain the customer. Bid it at your time/your rate. If you dont want it then I would bid high, If I got it I would sub the work out to someone else.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for all your advice. It went well, I told her that the condo is way to big for us to do snow removal. She understood.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would do it I weeded out all my condos that were a headache and have ones now that pay dont complain!!! our condos now pay their bills for snow or lawn within 5-13days. Also for the snow 30 units or 30 buildings? Cause 30 units you could do that yourself or team up with another company. Also most condos 65-70% of the condo fees go to lawn and landscape maint. so find out what the dues are.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

good choice. dont take on something you cant handle. the customer may not be happy thus loosing referrals.