Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can recommend that you find one in your area......sorry. There's lots of them out there, just interview them.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing the new box trucks when finished. I have been thinking about getting a box truck but it is hard to $$ this time of the year. New mowing crews means more mowers, will you be buying new or used? Not to pick at your plans to much but what is your target marked, residential or commercial. Ours has all ways been commercial but we still do about 25% residential. I would like to be 100% commercial in the lawn maintenance part of business. Thanks
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Todd, 3 mowing crews at 100 accounts a piece sounds great, I really hope you guys meet and exceed those goals this year!

I find where you are going with your company interesting and encouraging. You're going at it the same way as my company except backwards- You started in hardscape/construction and added mowing later; I started in maint. and have been moving towards design/build. With that said, here's a ? for you:

I read all of Jarod's thread, and agree with pretty much everything, with the exception of his opinion on doing both maintenance and design/build. I think it can be done, and done well, as long as it is done right. I'm guessing this is your opinion too, since you didn't only start a mowing division, you are expanding it? What's your take on all that?

"Without purpose ... goals, ambitions, and dreams aren't worth the paper they're written on. Without direction, a business plan, no matter how carefully written, is simply a bunch of words ruining a perfectly good blank sheet of paper."
Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

With the exception of snow, everything we do is residential. I am bidding on an HOA so we will see. I bought the trucks back in November as part of a 2010 write-off.

Mowers I buy used for the most part and run Exmark. When I can get a 48" hydro with 600hrs for $2,500 it doesn't make much sense to spend $5,200+ on a new one. Same with our three zero turns I bought last year. They are 50/52" with 200-400 hrs and I paid between $3,775 - $4,200 for each when they are $7,000 new. I have one Better Outdoor Products 44" but think I'll sell it or put it as a backup. Good mower but for simplicity I am going all Exmark mowers and all STIHL units.

Don't wait till you need something to buy it. By the time you really need it you should have already had it, so long as you can justify the purchase and keep emotions out of it. Emotions will cost you a lot of money. Emotion tells me to buy a Corvette, my brain and calculator say buy another truck or whatever else we need to continue growing. I'll get it one day...... I'll be buying mowers all season in preparation for next year. Ours aren't getting any newer so if I find a deal I'll buy it and rotate it in, add as a backup or with the intention of adding another crew.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks. I know it's a stretch but believe within reach with what we're doing. We'll know in a couple months.

Mowing and design/build are two companies in my head, one on the books. I have a separate bank account for the two so I can watch each easily. I didn't get into mowing because I had to have stability but there is that comfort. I consulted with a hand full of contractors that are successful at it, saw an opportunity and jumped in. I am growing two businesses under one name really.

In my opinion, you should concentrate on one before the other. You don't with one crew mow grass and build stone patios. It's one or the other, you're a grass cutter or a stone banger. My stone guys would laugh at the grass guys if they tried laying stone and the grass guys would laugh at the stone guys if they tried to cut grass.

More so, I want to grow and this was another vehicle to do so. I can also provide jobs to more people, put my name out there more and offer more services. A friend of mine that graduated from Virginia Tech with me just started a biz this fall after having worked at a high end golf course for 8yrs. I can now potentially provide him with 300 leads for fertilization programs to my mowing customers and provide my customers with another service. Their lawns will look great, my company will look great for maintaining them and he will get business. He's also doing irrigation and that's a need that I also have for the design/build projects. He's a good friend, has his head on his shoulders and I'm enjoying helping him get going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveslawncare View Post
Todd, 3 mowing crews at 100 accounts a piece sounds great, I really hope you guys meet and exceed those goals this year!

I find where you are going with your company interesting and encouraging. You're going at it the same way as my company except backwards- You started in hardscape/construction and added mowing later; I started in maint. and have been moving towards design/build. With that said, here's a ? for you:

I read all of Jarod's thread, and agree with pretty much everything, with the exception of his opinion on doing both maintenance and design/build. I think it can be done, and done well, as long as it is done right. I'm guessing this is your opinion too, since you didn't only start a mowing division, you are expanding it? What's your take on all that?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You might be my long lost brother lol

"Without purpose ... goals, ambitions, and dreams aren't worth the paper they're written on. Without direction, a business plan, no matter how carefully written, is simply a bunch of words ruining a perfectly good blank sheet of paper."
Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My mind is hurting more now a few moments after the event vs at it and at about 100mph in twelve directions. Didn't go? You really missed a great opportunity. Look forward to seeing all of us GROW (pun intended) in 2011. Great meeting ya'll.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
My mind is hurting more now a few moments after the event vs at it and at about 100mph in twelve directions. Didn't go? You really missed a great opportunity. Look forward to seeing all of us GROW (pun intended) in 2011. Great meeting ya'll.
I have to agree completely with you Todd, so glad i found out about it and went for it. It was great meeting you and everyone else.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is GROW anyway?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
What is GROW anyway?
http://www.martygrundermotivationals....com/services/