Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-11-2011, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Expanding dont know if I can at this point ?

I Currently have 64 residential accounts and 10 commercial accounts. I take care of my local Dairy Queen, Family Dollar and Save Alot, Florist, and different apartments complete the commercial list. I do most services by myself with the exception of part time help the first three or four months of my season when realy busy. I would like to expand and go bigger but finding full time help that is worth it is eating at me. What advice do you guys have for me ? Should I be patient and wait to expand or shoot for the gold and take on more hoping I make ends meet with help and getting the job done ?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tom,
I am in the exact same boat as you are - around 55 weekly acounts and having trouble keeping up when it's busy. I've used part time help previous seasons but I'm going to be hiring a full-time employee this season. I guess it would all come down to the numbers - if an employee can bring you a good profit and if you have plenty of work, I would go for it. Another option would be 2 or 3 part timers that you could call upon. Are you planning on working with him or sending him out on his own? If you are patient and watchful, there ARE some good dependable and hard working people out there who are looking for work. Keep me updated on how your season goes.
Stihl 4mix handhelds
+1 fully stocked fridge in the shop!

USMC!!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That was a big problem for me back when I expanded my operations. I used my church as a resource to find good part time help. There were a number of young men and teenagers who I hired from the youth dept. and the college Sunday School depts. They worked out very well. Especially the guys from the college age group. Those guys could often work even when college was in session, as they had days with few, or no classes. The high scholl guys were limited to summer vacation time, and sometimes weekends when school started in the fall. most of the college guys I hired attended one of our local colleges, so that helped with availability.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think about a extra part time person before going with a full time.Rainy days you would have to find him something to do.If you have a shop where he can do maintenance on the equipment. My church has been a good resource also for part time workers.So many people in or around our church are out of work.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the opinions. I think i am going to stick with more part time help that does make a little for sense however part timers always want cash under table lol. O well life goes on.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Grundy View Post
Thanks for the opinions. I think i am going to stick with more part time help that does make a little for sense however part timers always want cash under table lol. O well life goes on.
1099 them..Remember you are still responsible for them either way. They get hurt it is your dime.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was informed by my accountant, that I could not legally 1099 my part time help because they were not a sub per say. Some of the factors that he pointed out to me were that, He used my equipment, I declared his hours and pay, and he had to be under my supervision. Im sure you can get around it, but I just tried to follow the rules..i dont want an audit
Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

claim you rented the equipment and makeup a renters agreement then he is responsible for his $$$$$
Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
claim you rented the equipment and makeup a renters agreement then he is responsible for his $$$$$
ya cause the IRS would never figure that out.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasracer View Post
1099 them..Remember you are still responsible for them either way. They get hurt it is your dime.
I have yet to have somebody willing to work for me part time and have me 1099 them. They just say no so I just give them cash per day. It sucks yea but it has been the only thing keeping me going getting to all my accounts. I have had Hispanics to be proper ask but I cant ever understand them and thats all big companys use in my hometown of Louisville. Ive heard of a whole crew and truck of guys geting pulled over and deported. Im not fooling around with that yet.