Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-15-2011, 05:29 PM
XLS XLS is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: southern middle tennessee
Posts: 2,038
another thing you can consider is hiring a young school kid in the enenings and all that spring work you have would begin to be scheduled over weeks instead of everyting being rushed and it would keep him busy longer then it would you and hire them with a truck and make him use it , his insurance and truck cost. you can also consider this if you dont pay over XXX $ a year on general labor you dont have to file him at all . we use that alot .i think its like $7-12 k not sure my tax lady tells me who qualifies. So we pay cash to those guys and when the work slows down their pay does to.

working a kid after school 3 days a week helps alot .pay him on pay plus tips( like a resturant) you can pay $5.00 an hour and then when his afternoon is completed on time and to your standard you give him a tip . you can find good help at $50 a day and not be in trouble with the IRS because they hired in the company that way and agreed to it ... you cant help they dont make alot on tips lol( like a ugly hostess)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2011, 05:42 PM
gasracer gasracer is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nashville,Tn.
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Grundy View Post
I have yet to have somebody willing to work for me part time and have me 1099 them. They just say no so I just give them cash per day. It sucks yea but it has been the only thing keeping me going getting to all my accounts. I have had Hispanics to be proper ask but I cant ever understand them and thats all big companys use in my hometown of Louisville. Ive heard of a whole crew and truck of guys geting pulled over and deported. Im not fooling around with that yet.
No English,no Green card, no work....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Thomas Grundy's Avatar
Thomas Grundy Thomas Grundy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville Ky
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
another thing you can consider is hiring a young school kid in the enenings and all that spring work you have would begin to be scheduled over weeks instead of everyting being rushed and it would keep him busy longer then it would you and hire them with a truck and make him use it , his insurance and truck cost. you can also consider this if you dont pay over XXX $ a year on general labor you dont have to file him at all . we use that alot .i think its like $7-12 k not sure my tax lady tells me who qualifies. So we pay cash to those guys and when the work slows down their pay does to.

working a kid after school 3 days a week helps alot .pay him on pay plus tips( like a resturant) you can pay $5.00 an hour and then when his afternoon is completed on time and to your standard you give him a tip . you can find good help at $50 a day and not be in trouble with the IRS because they hired in the company that way and agreed to it ... you cant help they dont make alot on tips lol( like a ugly hostess)
Thanks I like your input. never really thought of doing that. I guess is would be a matter of finding the rite kind of kid whos able to cut. Ive had a few didnt make it the first day. cnt even run a trimmer in a strate line lol . Thanks I mite try it though.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Thomas Grundy's Avatar
Thomas Grundy Thomas Grundy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville Ky
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasracer View Post
No English,no Green card, no work....
HaHa everybody around here doesnt see it that way. They look at cheap labor and more money not to mention they wont even take a lunch break if you offered and would cut in the dark if you let them. I think one may tanslate to the crew. Not sure how it works.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 AM
gasracer gasracer is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nashville,Tn.
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Grundy View Post
HaHa everybody around here doesnt see it that way. They look at cheap labor and more money not to mention they wont even take a lunch break if you offered and would cut in the dark if you let them. I think one may tanslate to the crew. Not sure how it works.
I am not risking the INS showing up and shutting my business down.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM
dgoshilla dgoshilla is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: West Hollywood, CA
Posts: 5
Do you want to be a business guy or a worker? I'm a business guy. At some point you need to manage and grow the business. You can't do that if you're on the road mowing lawns 7 hours a day. Take the hit on profits and find a good crew of skilled gardeners. Otherwise you'll be three years out making $40,000 / year instead of $100,000. Growing a business is long-term. You don't get rich quick in the service industry.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM
XLS XLS is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: southern middle tennessee
Posts: 2,038
I agree with dgoshilla manage your business dont work the day you step out of the field work you lose money with in a month you will start growing and make it back 10 fold by the years end.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Thomas Grundy's Avatar
Thomas Grundy Thomas Grundy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville Ky
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
I agree with dgoshilla manage your business dont work the day you step out of the field work you lose money with in a month you will start growing and make it back 10 fold by the years end.
Yea i know it. It makes sense. Im 23 years old I gota lot of learning to do outside of working to much. I got the work in me i need the business part to start piecing together. Thanks all input is going to be processed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.09506 seconds with 9 queries