Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

One of the new trucks. Both have their dovetails installed. In the next few weeks the designs will be done and the trucks wrapped.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

is that a 14' box? looks good man
Old 02-14-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's a 16' box. Perfect for a 36" wb, 48" wb and 50/52" zero trun.

GMC 3500 w/ 6.0L gas
Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Curious, do you run into any problems with GVW on those boxtrucks? Looks like a great setup, something we will be moving into soon I'm sure. Do you have a particular source you get the trucks from like ex-penske or ryder trucks or just truck dealers?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This was a budget truck. Fleet maintained and 117k miles on both. GVW is of no concern under 26,001 aka CDL. I would guess we are 10k loaded.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Right, I know theyre under cdl I wasnt clear before. I'm asking if when loaded up are you maxing out the truck. Theyre rated to what about 12k right? Looks good!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you paint the cabs? I just painted one myself the other day. Not really that hard with a single stage paint. A few runs, but who gives a damn on a work truck.

Why not isuzu's? Too expensive? They seem to be more of a commercial application, but parts are more expensive.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you don't give a *#$* then why paint it in the first place? All of my trucks follow a certain look to promote the image of the company and to speak for us as to the quality we do. I do have two dedicated plow trucks that are blank but we'll be adding something to them just to put the name in front of people while we're out there cleaning their streets.

I have issues with safety in Isuzu's. Would I buy one though, yes......but what am I getting with a 16' box with an Isuzu cab vs a GMC cab. Both have 6.0L gas engines but one costs a lot more ($3k+ each). Also, a used Isuzu is likely not to be a fleet maintained vehicle with records.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is that price you gave for the dovetails a few pages back installed, or do you install them yourself/hire someone to install them?

I have access to Penske used fleet trucks just like that, and that would be a REALLY attractive option....

As for your other thoughts just the past 3-4 pages... It's apparent that you really have a desire to do more than just have a business... It's more than that and it's clear that you see that... I sure wish I could get my partner to think that way as well.... I always get enthusiastic about things and he says "put your hardon away"... if he weren't my brother, I would have been on my own by now.... It's tough when you don't see eye to eye about something so important.

I am going to read through this entire thread sometime over the weekend. I feel my business is at a turning point and in a position to grow 200 percent or more in 2011 and I want some more motivation. Keep up the good work!

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
If you don't give a *#$* then why paint it in the first place? All of my trucks follow a certain look to promote the image of the company and to speak for us as to the quality we do. I do have two dedicated plow trucks that are blank but we'll be adding something to them just to put the name in front of people while we're out there cleaning their streets.

I have issues with safety in Isuzu's. Would I buy one though, yes......but what am I getting with a 16' box with an Isuzu cab vs a GMC cab. Both have 6.0L gas engines but one costs a lot more ($3k+ each). Also, a used Isuzu is likely not to be a fleet maintained vehicle with records.
Well I don't think they have to able win any type of awards or anything. If it looks great at 5' away doesn't that serve the purpose? Anything more than a single stage paint seems like a waste. You are really just trying to brand your color right?