Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
No I haven't, though Fantasea Scuba in Port Charlotte, where my family got certified, takes trips out there often. On the west coast I took one certification dive off Boca Grande and another off Bradenton Beach about a mile offshore there's about an 8' ledge that's pretty interesting. Problem up here is the visibility, about 8 to 20 feet verses 40 to 100 feet in the Keys.
I hear out at the bayronto this time of year without all the rainwater running out the peace and mayaka rivers you get 100' vis out at the bayronto. I know I fish some spots in about 80' of water and I am amazed at how far down I can see the anchor rope. Not that I question vis in the keys. No doubt it is far better and more consistant there.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea it's true the best Vis in the gulf off shore is in the winter when the rivers flow and general storm runoff is at it's lowest point. I think on average vis at the Bayronto is like 25 to 50 feet.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL my perfect microclimate comes from central air, the same as everywhere else in Florida. Now I admit that since I built my home and put in native trees I am sitting in a hardwood hammock that shades everything. It was much worse building the house in the late 80's when there were no trees here.