Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2010, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Shark View Post
Keep in mind Z riders are not tractors and are not made to constantly pull.
PS. I think another relevant point would be the fact that all of the ZTR's that I'm aware of sell trailer hitches for their mowers. I wouldn't think they'd offer to sell you a hitch if they thought it would affect the mower by pulling something (within reason of course)..... especially throughout the warranty period.
Stan
Old 10-03-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had video of it but last year I hit round bale turning the rakes at a headrow going about 10mph. I turned around to look as it hit. The rake launched about 10 feet in the air and went over the round bale. I stopped the tractor and looked at everything not one broken or bent piece on the rake. I have no clue how nothing broke but something to be said about solid constructed equipment .
Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastweig View Post
For years I have been cutting about 3.5 acres with a lawn tractor and a 60" Swisher trail mower. Seemed like a pretty good idea at the time and it does work albeit not very efficiently. I get a nice wide 100" cut but I have to go slow and it is a royal pain around trees. I could be wrong but I'm also afraid that my little lawn tractor isn't made for that kind of constant pulling and Iíll' eventually start having transmission problems.

I want to start maintaining another 3 acres that I have just been letting someone bale hay on so that puts me at about 6.5 acres to mow. I could do it with my current rigged setup but I'm thinking I should upgrade to a ZTR.

I know you guys deal whatís the best --- threads every day but my specific questions are on deck size and speed. I keep thinking I would want a 60" deck but 52" seems pretty popular even in the commercial mowers. Also, I see speed specifications at around 6,8, and 10 mph. Whatís the realistic cutting speed of these mowers?

I don't want to spend a fortune on a top of the line commercial because I am a seasonal, residential owner and not generating any revenue off the machine.

I was looking at the Ariens Max Zoom 60. I liked that it has a Kawasaki engine and the price at around 5 grand seems pretty good. I can't afford to get into the 7 to 8 thousand or higher price range. The Deere dealers in my area have a couple of used Z820A and Z830A mowers for a good price but I read about the 800 series problems on this forum so thanks for that.

Any opinions on the Ariens or should I be looking at something else?

Attached is a photo of my rigged up mowing solution.

Attached is a photo of my rigged up mowing solution.
I'm like you, I used a 154 Cub Loboy tractor with a 60" deck along with a 60" Swisher just like yours. I bought the Loboy in 1980 and used it alone until 2004...then I added the Swisher in 2004. I used that setup for 6 years. Then in 2009 I sold my tractor and replaced it with a Bad Boy Lightning with a 60" deck (26hp LC Kawi ).

I now pull the Swisher with the BB and it's a great set-up! (BB makes a very HD receiver hitch for the Lightning...it's just like the ones you see on trucks).

Mowing around the 200 trees in my yard is now just a "flick of the wrist" instead of cranking a steering wheel (without PS).

You can pull the Swisher if you get one of the heavier zero turns (w/heavier drive pumps/wheel motors) and then when you wear the Swisher out you have the option of buying another trail mower or just using the ZTR by itself. I'm pretty sure that after using the ZTR / Swisher combo you won't want to go back to cutting just 60".....120" is habit forming!

Oh yeah, I lowered the tire pressure down to about 4 lbs on the Swisher so I could mow faster without shaking it to pieces. Even tho , as you know, the sticker on the Swisher says not to pull it over 5 mph, most of my mowing is between 6-10 mph with no problem at all. Good luck! Stan
Old 02-20-2011, 04:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I'm like you, I used a 154 Cub Loboy tractor with a 60" deck along with a 60" Swisher just like yours. I bought the Loboy in 1980 and used it alone until 2004...then I added the Swisher in 2004. I used that setup for 6 years. Then in 2009 I sold my tractor and replaced it with a Bad Boy Lightning with a 60" deck (26hp LC Kawi ).

I now pull the Swisher with the BB and it's a great set-up! (BB makes a very HD receiver hitch for the Lightning...it's just like the ones you see on trucks).

Mowing around the 200 trees in my yard is now just a "flick of the wrist" instead of cranking a steering wheel (without PS).

You can pull the Swisher if you get one of the heavier zero turns (w/heavier drive pumps/wheel motors) and then when you wear the Swisher out you have the option of buying another trail mower or just using the ZTR by itself. I'm pretty sure that after using the ZTR / Swisher combo you won't want to go back to cutting just 60".....120" is habit forming!

Oh yeah, I lowered the tire pressure down to about 4 lbs on the Swisher so I could mow faster without shaking it to pieces. Even tho , as you know, the sticker on the Swisher says not to pull it over 5 mph, most of my mowing is between 6-10 mph with no problem at all. Good luck! Stan
OH MAN.....I'm gettin' OLD!!!! I'd forgotten about replying to this post a lot earlier! Oh well.......