Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2011, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Do my advertising numbers seem realistic????

So I live in North Jersey and my family owns a advertising/bulk mailing company. They are going to be sending out 24,000 flyers for me.. i will be using the rule of three and sending 8,000 out at 3 different times. (I am using other advertising as well but expect most of my work to come from this mailing.)

If i get a .5% return, than that adds up to 120 calls

And if I close on 25%-50% that gives me between 30 and 60 new customers

Are these numbers realistic for an area like North Jersey??

Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2011, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds good to me also. The most important thing I have found is a solid, eye catching flyer. People get all kinds of flyers. Mine are full color with a nice bright blue sky and clouds as the background. They work really well.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
Sounds good to me also. The most important thing I have found is a solid, eye catching flyer. People get all kinds of flyers. Mine are full color with a nice bright blue sky and clouds as the background. They work really well.
I designed my flyer with the same concept... I used a picture of house/lawn with nice blue sky and put my services and such and two coupons to get a little more attention ( thanks god for all those high school and college computer classes ). Their also being printed on a heavy-weight high gloss paper. I'm just worried that 24000 won't be enough.. I'm looking to pick up appx. 40-50 customers on contracts
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking for a good printer/mailer company myself if your interested in referring me?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's all a crapshoot. You say 40-60 customers under contracts.....I am guessing for mowing? If that is the case, that might be high, but each case is different.

Few years ago I did 2500 postcards, twice. Got about 40 calls...not bad, but only picked up 4 mowing accounts. The majority of your calls will NOT be for mowing...just keep that in mind.

What kind of area are you targeting....income wise? I did some super nice flyers years ago and heard comments like "those are nice, I bet he's expensive"

Anymore, I prepare for the worst...lol. I know that sounds horrible, but that's the way I think now with advertising.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My first year I sent out a flyer by having it inserted in the local paper. I made it on Microsoft publisher. At the time I was proud of it but in looking back it was pretty bad................. I have never had a better response. I think it said, "He'll probably be inexpensive" so I got a good response. People don't like to get people looking for a price but it seems the whole world has been Walmartized.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawntennis View Post
My first year I sent out a flyer by having it inserted in the local paper. I made it on Microsoft publisher. At the time I was proud of it but in looking back it was pretty bad................. I have never had a better response. I think it said, "He'll probably be inexpensive" so I got a good response. People don't like to get people looking for a price but it seems the whole world has been Walmartized.
Amen. My flyers this year...yes...they are black and white, I did use Publisher and they do look cheap...lol. Full color, fantastic flyers didn't work me so it's time to try something different.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-22-2011, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawntennis View Post
Screw walmart - they are part of the reason we can't get the prices we want anyway.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker-talker View Post
It's all a crapshoot. You say 40-60 customers under contracts.....I am guessing for mowing? If that is the case, that might be high, but each case is different.

Few years ago I did 2500 postcards, twice. Got about 40 calls...not bad, but only picked up 4 mowing accounts. The majority of your calls will NOT be for mowing...just keep that in mind.

What kind of area are you targeting....income wise? I did some super nice flyers years ago and heard comments like "those are nice, I bet he's expensive"

Anymore, I prepare for the worst...lol. I know that sounds horrible, but that's the way I think now with advertising.
Yes i was talking about mowing and my target area is my town and a neighboring town which are considered high income areas.

And my flyers were designed on Microsoft word.. Their nice and full color but simple enough not to overwhelm.

And id really like to see 40-50 new contracts but dont get me wrong id be happy with just 20 new contracts... im just aiming high

Tags
advertising , customers , flyers , jersey , mailing