Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

So the insurance company is going to cover errosion by mother nature?

I'd throw my 210 down in there and hurl all that up on the bank in a day. 1200yards wouldn't take long. I'd leave all stumps possible, no need to rip out a tree thats holding the bank in the first place.

Looks already like rip rap size rocks and sand. Just pile all the small stuff up and then line the bottom of the bank with the larger rocks to hold it.
As long and you make the channel straight and the way it should it will be fine. Although I'm going by a picture it sounds like your making it harder than it is but thats just me.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
So the insurance company is going to cover errosion by mother nature?

I'd throw my 210 down in there and hurl all that up on the bank in a day. 1200yards wouldn't take long. I'd leave all stumps possible, no need to rip out a tree thats holding the bank in the first place.

Looks already like rip rap size rocks and sand. Just pile all the small stuff up and then line the bottom of the bank with the larger rocks to hold it.
As long and you make the channel straight and the way it should it will be fine. Although I'm going by a picture it sounds like your making it harder than it is but thats just me.
Well, the problem is, I wanted to pile all of that material on the bank to build the bank higher, slope the bank and add the rocks as rip rap. However, he wants Gabion baskets installed and won't settle for anything less. I highy doubt the insurance will cover this project, but a $8,000 project has turned into a $40,000 project for the gabion baskets and rip rap.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex View Post
Well, the problem is, I wanted to pile all of that material on the bank to build the bank higher, slope the bank and add the rocks as rip rap. However, he wants Gabion baskets installed and won't settle for anything less. I highy doubt the insurance will cover this project, but a $8,000 project has turned into a $40,000 project for the gabion baskets and rip rap.
I've worked for plenty of people with more money than brains, but hey if he wants them price it that way.

I think its way overkill for a creek in the mountains? Either way Id look at being in and out as QUICK as possible, you don't need to be playing in a mountain stream no longer than you have to, could lead to some little white trucks with government tags on your job. ask me I know

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

New facebook fan page

Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I've worked for plenty of people with more money than brains, but hey if he wants them price it that way.

I think its way overkill for a creek in the mountains? Either way Id look at being in and out as QUICK as possible, you don't need to be playing in a mountain stream no longer than you have to, could lead to some little white trucks with government tags on your job. ask me I know
Haha, Chris I have to hear the story on it.

Anyway, he claims his insurance will cover it. I want to see it when it happens. Since he thinks his insurance will cover it, I am more than happy to quote him gabion baskets, but I am pretty sure insurance will deny it. If insurance approves it then I will apply for the permit through the army corps of engineers.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I placed my bid today. He woul NOT settle for anything but gabion baskets, so thats what I figured in to my bid. I asked several people and came out to a $100 per cubic feet labor rate for the baskets. He also changed the plans of the creek and wants all the material brought back onto the bank and make the bank longer out. Total bid was $85,185.50. After relooking at the creek there are alot of bends and curves so I figured in 550 feet which comes out to 93 gabion baskets, 651 ton of rip rap rock and 372 cubic feet of fill for all the baskets.

I expect the project to take about a month to complete, although I doubt insurance is going to pay for it. I also talked to the army corps of engineers and they want detailed drawings and all this and that bullshit.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good luck with that. I did a job like that yrs back it. Was a pain the state was on me the whole time i did it.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf lawn care View Post
good luck with that. I did a job like that yrs back it. Was a pain the state was on me the whole time i did it.
I hear you. The army corps of engineers told me they wouldent even come look at the project, I have to draw maps out and take it to their office. I told them if they want me to have a permit they can meet me half way. lol
Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex View Post
I hear you. The army corps of engineers told me they wouldent even come look at the project, I have to draw maps out and take it to their office. I told them if they want me to have a permit they can meet me half way. lol
Yeah they want me to get a permit for dredging the lake I just finished today... looks like thats not going to happen LOL

New facebook fan page

Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah they want me to get a permit for dredging the lake I just finished today... looks like thats not going to happen LOL
I'd tell them to kiss my ass. lol

The funny thing is, the guy I talked to was like "If you don't touch the stream you don't need a permit, or if it is life threatning you do not need a permit" so I told him it washed the guys foundation from under his house and he still said I needed a permit. Ah, good ole government.