Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I give up on trying to figure out Kawasaki

From this day forth I will not even try to understand Kawasaki, for this BMW rider its exactly like trying to understand Harley Davidson models; FXTHdyna wide glide super fat boy night train (I do like HD)

Found a '10 Bob-Cat Fastcat RZ, 42" deck real commercial hydro (entry level though) with a 19 hp FHKAI engine, panel air filter BUT remote is available as a Kawasaki p/n for about $225 usd plus install, kit includes different jets for the carb. Cost for machine, new, is $3800 cash.

So the quest began to understand just what engine is on this mower, my thinking all along was that the FX series is the acknowledged commercial Kawa engine-by description this would appear not to be so for a few very key differences : only the FHKAI is listed as having a cylinder liner or a cast iron cylinder liner, Kawasaki calls the FHKAI thier 'Flagship' engine line making -unprecedented power- specs for the 19:
2.91-2.68 stroke
8.5:1 comp
36.6 lbs at 2000 rpm please note
71.2 lbs engine weight
described as having a c/i liner

The oft cited FX 20 hp

same stroke
8.1:1 comp
35.5 ft lbs at 2400 rpm please note
89.7 lbs engine weight please note
no liner mentioned

"The FX series are compact 90* v twins hemi combustion chamber solenoid fuel shut off large capacity fuel pump high efficiency oil cooler and dual stage air filter"

FS series 20 hp, this series dealer tells me is being used on '11 Hustler Fast trak SD:

ditto specs
engine weight 8lbs lighter please not

Description contains the following:
'High powered but still environmentally friendly, compact v twin with overhead v valve, dual element air filter and plastic blower'

Lost is the hemi chamber, high capacity fuel pump, high efficiency oil cooler and dual stage air filter.

This alone is enough for me to choose the Honda GVX630 series-Hustler uses it across the three deck sizes available and really this is the only fact I can begin to make sense of.

Last edited by jonathanone; 02-25-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Just got off the phone with a 'very, very, very, very, knowledgeable person-best dealer in New England'- and things go from being simply very confusing to now very confusing and bizarre;

Me: 'could you tell me what engine models are considered to be the true commercial ones?'

Very nice person; 'Kawasaki only makes commercial engines'

Me: 'what does the KAI designation mean'

Very nice person; 'that is a Japanese word/term for the latest/best/most
modern'

Me: 'I really apprecate your patience but then why would the KAI
engines not have--------------------' and I mentioned some of the
components from other models that were not listed as being in the
KAI.

Very nice person; 'the KAI series was developed in 2004'

Me: 'So the KAI means the latest/best/most modern with regard to '04
engineering/building/'

Very nice person; 'yes, that would be correct'

Bottom line, Kawasaki only builds commercial engines but some are more commercial than others

Old 02-25-2011, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My understanding of the Kawasaki engines is as follows:

The FH series including the FH KAI is Kawasaki's old commercial engine line, now discontinued, but still on a few new machines out there. This is a proven and very reliable engine.

The FX and FS series comprise Kawasaki's new commercial engine line up. The main difference between the two is that the FX have remote canister filters and the FS only have the non-canister pleated filters. (There may be other differences, but I haven't figured that out yet.)

They also have the FR engine which is a new light commercial/residential engine.

The FX and FS series engines sound like their pretty good so far, with the possible exception of the 34hp and 37hp FX series which had seen a few more problem.