Register free!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Most beneficial organic applications

Would it be possible to list the top 10 most beneficial organic lawn care applications independent of "liberal use", "must be done by a professional", "what are the soil test results", "how often is the lawn watered", "what's the history of lawn care" etc., what would they be in the order of decreasing benefit? [Assume (i) a single application, (ii) the turfgrass is St. Augustine, and (iii) the goal is to target vital nutrients and possibly fungicidal or insect-controlling characteristics. Also assume there are no parameters upon which to select the "correct" application or how much. Also, no masters theses or dissertations allowed, just enumerated lists.]
Old 02-24-2011, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lep View Post
Would it be possible to list the top 10 most beneficial organic lawn care applications independent of "liberal use", "must be done by a professional", "what are the soil test results", "how often is the lawn watered", "what's the history of lawn care" etc., what would they be in the order of decreasing benefit? [Assume (i) a single application, (ii) the turfgrass is St. Augustine, and (iii) the goal is to target vital nutrients and possibly fungicidal or insect-controlling characteristics. Also assume there are no parameters upon which to select the "correct" application or how much. Also, no masters theses or dissertations allowed, just enumerated lists.]
Your kidding right, is it April 1 already?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1) Compost
2) Compost
3) Compost
4) Compost
5) Compost
6) Compost
7) Compost
8) Compost
9) Compost
10) Compost
Old 02-25-2011, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
1) Compost
2) Compost
3) Compost
4) Compost
5) Compost
6) Compost
7) Compost
8) Compost
9) Compost
10) Compost
But what kinda compost, their are so many and it is unlikely that any two would be the same.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

1) "Locally produced" compost
Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
But what kinda compost, their are so many and it is unlikely that any two would be the same.
And this is correct and I can't help but laugh!!!!!!!!!! Way too funny!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The whole thread for me.....
Old 02-26-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lep View Post
I agree with the compost comment

setting irrigation correctly would come in a quick second, I hear this from many that THE most important change made on a site was adjusting the irrigation to come on as infrequently as possible and when it does to water deeply

where you are in Texas is the soil clay or sandy?

trying to get the soil organic matter to 5% to 7% is the goal, it will eliminate many issues and promote drought resistance, less disease, much less nutrient inputs and a nice stand of turf

Please do a little background into composting so that you can decide quickly whether the composter has done their job correctly. It should smell earthy, if it has a rotten egg or ammonia smell do not use it, you should not be able to tell what the parent material was, besides a few sticks that di not break down it should be dark brown to black, crumbly and not have an odor

if it is not composted properly there is a good chance that there are a lot of weed seed in it or even worse pathogens from improper composting