Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Stander Maneuverability?

I bought a used 48 inch, side discharge Walker a couple of years ago. I purchased it primarily to use on smaller and/or fenced yards, and more manicured properties, of which I have very few. I love the Walker's cut, but it is rather slow on bigger areas and a bit rough riding (no suspension seat). Also, my wife hates the controls, and basically refuses to use it

I notice on here that more and more guys seem to be going to standers, especially the V-ride. I've never been on one, but am wondering if smaller unit might do the jobs I need a smaller mower for a bit more efficiently? I'm especially addressing this question to those that have run Walker's as well as stand-on units. Is the stander as maneuverable in tight spaces? What is the quality of cut? Overall speed on properties? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I bought a used 48 inch, side discharge Walker a couple of years ago. I purchased it primarily to use on smaller and/or fenced yards, and more manicured properties, of which I have very few. I love the Walker's cut, but it is rather slow on bigger areas and a bit rough riding (no suspension seat). Also, my wife hates the controls, and basically refuses to use it

I notice on here that more and more guys seem to be going to standers, especially the V-ride. I've never been on one, but am wondering if smaller unit might do the jobs I need a smaller mower for a bit more efficiently? I'm especially addressing this question to those that have run Walker's as well as stand-on units. Is the stander as maneuverable in tight spaces? What is the quality of cut? Overall speed on properties? Thanks for any input.
I'll try to keep this short. I have used Walkers for over 20 years now and for the past 2 years we have preferred using the Toro Grandstands over the Walkers. Though I think overall the Walkers are more controllable and better suited on hills, they are so much slower. Walkers are king when it comes to bagging but other than that a stand-on will beat it hands down. Now here are the pros for a stand-on. First of all you can just about buy two stand-ons for the price of one Walker. Speaking for the Toro GS, they have a smoother ride for my back don't hurt at the end of the day like it did when I rode the Walker. The cut quality is outstanding even when using a mulch kit. Stand-ons are very maneuverable but hill stability is a concern. They are much faster than a Walker (unless you are using a Super Bee).

As for comparing a Toro Grandstand to a Scagg V-Ride. The V-Ride is faster and more durable where the GS is more comfortable to use. They both have great cut quality. I would recommend the GS as a owner/operator's mower and the V-Ride to be more of a fleet used mower.

Bottom line the stand-on mowers are more affordable, more versatile and more productive.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we dont use a walker but have tried them, they are slow, we do use the wright sentar and are very happy with it, except bagging capabilities, as mentioned that is where the walker is superior, but also mentioned, you can buy two stand ons for 1 walker
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower