Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2003, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, fluxcore is a "dirtier" process than hardwire - much smokier.

This may be a dumb question, but is the wire you're using the right one for gasless application? I have a small MIG at home and run strictly hardwire, I've never looked into fluxcore for it but at work the (big) fluxcore machines use Co2 gas with the flux cored wire.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is the very issue I need some help on. I welded for years in a factory or was either around welding. The other day I went out to my Dad's to get his older Linclon SP200 ( I think that's right) out of storage.......just found out he had this after 10 years.........well, it was set up with .068 inner shield wire......flux core gun.....no gas. The only time I ever used flux core was 20 years ago and it was wire that had actual flux coating on the outside......similar to a stick welding rod. This wire has no apparent flux at all.........none that I can see anyway. Educate me if you will on the proper methods here. I yanked all that off and was going to convert it back to gas and .035 wire which he has a brand new roll of. I've just never seen anything like this and when I went to the local welding supply place to get a couple parts for the feeder the counter guy didn't act like he knew what I was talking about. So for now.........I haven't done anything but get everything out. They want $150.00 for a small bottle of 75/25 and I really only need to use the welder for a few hours to build some sides on my equipment trailer and don't want to pay that for gas...........yet.

Whats the deal?