Register free!

Old 04-05-2003, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Nitrogen in snow.....

Since we're getting a ton of it right now, how much N is in snow? I heard there was some. Can I skip the spring feeding now? I had my lawnmower ready and had to pull out the snowblower. So much for global warming.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know the specific answer to your question of how much N, but I can say yes, there is N in snow as well as in rainfall. As the snow/rain falls through the atmosphere it picks up nitrogen.

Some will say snow is the 'poor mans fertiizer'. I dont think there is much benefit because snow will evaporate back into the atmosphere.

I'm not all that knowledgeable on this, this is just some Saturday morning chit chat.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TSM
I dont know the specific answer to your question of how much N, but I can say yes, there is N in snow as well as in rainfall. As the snow/rain falls through the atmosphere it picks up nitrogen.

Some will say snow is the 'poor mans fertiizer'. I dont think there is much benefit because snow will evaporate back into the atmosphere.

I'm not all that knowledgeable on this, this is just some Saturday morning chit chat.
I doubt of snow being same as fertilizer.
Snow is water under 32 Farenheit.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt that there is much N in snow. Large quantities of N can be fixed in rain due to very large electrical discharges in the atmosphere from lightning. This occurs mostly during thunderstorms. Sometimes in spring, snow can be accompanied with lightning, but this is rare.

jim