Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper S'Burb'n Turb'n...Should I buy it???

I need some advice from the experts. I have a farm where I mow approx 5 acres of lawn and have horse pastures that need to stay clipped. I have been using a small John Deere tractor with a 6 foot finish mower for the lawn and an occasional bushhog pass for the pasture. I would like to get a mower that will cut my lawn fast (not too concerned about the look, just need it cut) and, as bonus, could run over the pasture every few weeks.

I've located a 72" Dixie Chopper XXW4000 nearby with 500 hrs on one engine (20 hp Kohler) and 1000 hrs on the other. It has been owned by a homeowner for the past 7 years and he uses it basically the same way I would. It looks good in the pictures and seems to have been stored inside.

Question is, does anyone have any experience with these? The DC dealer in town had nothing bad to say about them and the combined 40hp and seems nice, but I'm nervous about buying a gas engine (much less two). Should I hold out for a diesel or are these engines pretty reliable? Is there anything else I should be considering?

By the way, the guy is asking $4500. Reasonable rate?

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Those are probablt 20HP Kohler Command engines, so they should be very reliable. you should be able to get at least 2000 hours/engine, if properly serviced. That mower will do some serious mowing. however, it will also drink a LOT of gasoline. I would guess it will use about 3 gal/hour, maybe more in heavy cutting.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know I wouldn't want the hassle of maintaining two engines, just not worth it to me. Pretty cool mower though.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Those are probablt 20HP Kohler Command engines, so they should be very reliable. you should be able to get at least 2000 hours/engine, if properly serviced. That mower will do some serious mowing. however, it will also drink a LOT of gasoline. I would guess it will use about 3 gal/hour, maybe more in heavy cutting.
yes 3 gal a hour but it only take it 1 hr or less mow that yard
Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

i have one and i love it
it will mow about anything
we even use it on some of the smaller lawns instead of our 61" scag
ours is a 46 hp model (2 23hp kohlers) only problems in 600 hours has been both mufflers broke internally and reduced the engine power
these mowers are also great on hills