Register free!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scagmower48

I am more than 3 times you age and my biggest regrets in life are not what I tried and failed at. I regret things I wanted to try and never did.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Scagmower48

I am more than 3 times you age and my biggest regrets in life are not what I tried and failed at. I regret things I wanted to try and never did.
Thanks for the advice Ric, your quote makes a lot of sense.

I guess if I keep putting off growing this portion of my business it will hurt me in the long run. I

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like Ric's advise...he's a wise old man

Although Im not as experienced as he is....Im only 2x's your age, I have been fertin & squirtin since I was 17 years old (right out of high school) and I really haven't done any other job in my life. Im about to start my 25th spring in this business.

It took me 10 years of working for other companies before I decided to do my own thing...and it was scary. However the one thing I found out very quickly is this...

Its not what you do for work that will make you successful, because lets face it, almost anyone can figure out how to Mow, Fertilize, spray weeds or really insert any other thing we all do...its learning how to run a business is what you need to worry about.

It seems like your on the right path, your licensed, in College and currently have a customer base to work with. Just keep doing things the correct way, yes you will make mistakes..might burn a few lawns, streak a few but trust me even the "old timers" do this too.

that is what you really need to concentrate on, making sure you run you company to make money. Your not in the Lawn Care business, your in the making a profit business first.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cormier View Post
I like Ric's advise...he's a wise old man

Although Im not as experienced as he is....Im only 2x's your age, I have been fertin & squirtin since I was 17 years old (right out of high school) and I really haven't done any other job in my life. Im about to start my 25th spring in this business.

It took me 10 years of working for other companies before I decided to do my own thing...and it was scary. However the one thing I found out very quickly is this...

Its not what you do for work that will make you successful, because lets face it, almost anyone can figure out how to Mow, Fertilize, spray weeds or really insert any other thing we all do...its learning how to run a business is what you need to worry about.

It seems like your on the right path, your licensed, in College and currently have a customer base to work with. Just keep doing things the correct way, yes you will make mistakes..might burn a few lawns, streak a few but trust me even the "old timers" do this too.

that is what you really need to concentrate on, making sure you run you company to make money. Your not in the Lawn Care business, your in the making a profit business first.
I appreciate the time you took to write this. I just wanted to hear what others had to say regarding my situation. I did want to hear from people to go out and do it, because that is what I want to do.

I have always concentrated on making a profit with my business. With no profit there would be no use to having a business.

Thanks Again

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation