Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Roundup rates on dormant bermuda for grassy weeds

Just wondered what rate you apply Round-up to bermuda that is still dormant. The label is not too clear and states how much per gallon at different %, but that is not what i am looking for. I am looking for rate per acre. Am i blind?

I have applied at 3 pints per acre, and not seeing the results i wish to see. I know we have had a few cool days but we have had some days in the 70's.

Oh i am using cornerstone
Old 03-03-2011, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where are you at? Colder temperatures will slow any herbicide down. Did you use surfactant? 1.5 quarts per acre is what i've done before. could even mix in a little 3way for faster knockdown on broadleafs
Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I am in Oklahoma. I am using a 3 way for broadleaf, but for poa and other grassy weeds, it seems to be slow and none on some areas. I am using a surfactant.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been running 1 1/2 q/a of honcho. I've also been adding Li-700, 32-0-0, or a 2,4d product as needed, depending on the temp, chance of rain, wind, number of weeds and size of weeds. They will die, it just takes a little time. I am going to cut back to 24 oz/acre of gly and 1 q/a of 3 way this week.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherOkie View Post
I've been running 1 1/2 q/a of honcho. I've also been adding Li-700, 32-0-0, or a 2,4d product as needed, depending on the temp, chance of rain, wind, number of weeds and size of weeds. They will die, it just takes a little time. I am going to cut back to 24 oz/acre of gly and 1 q/a of 3 way this week.

I have been using the cornerstone (gly)48 oz per acre and strike 3 40 oz a acre for the 3 way and a surf-king surfactant at 40 oz per 60 gallons.

Why would you cut back already on the 3 way?

I have reduced to where i am applying 1 gal/per 1k
Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not cutting back on the 3 way, I'm adding it. Most yards I've just been running Gly on. Bermuda is starting to peek out in spots, thats why I am cutting the gly rate in half. Most of the yards I'm treating have very few if any weeds, since they were treated in the fall.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here in SW Florida our Bermuda doesn't go Dormant or if it does, not for very long. Therefore I apply pint and a half Roundup per acre to active growing Bermuda. Besides weed control the Roundup acts as a growth regulator so you don't have to cut that often. Oh and I super charge my Roundup with 3 way to get better weed control.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherOkie View Post
Not cutting back on the 3 way, I'm adding it. Most yards I've just been running Gly on. Bermuda is starting to peek out in spots, thats why I am cutting the gly rate in half. Most of the yards I'm treating have very few if any weeds, since they were treated in the fall.
Same here, but I am seeing more annual bluegrass this year compared to most years due to thin turf from the drought conditions late last summer-early fall and some of the damage it caused. I'm hoping to knock it out. We have had a "monster" week trying to spray as many aswe can with it. I've been using 1 oz/k of Ranger Pro + surfactant. Spring has come so quick, I'm worried we'll run out of time and I'll have to switch to 3 way. We had 8 inches of snow on the ground 3 weeks ago and it's been 60-70 degrees ever since it melted. The bermudas will pop soon.

Ric, I've never done the chemical mowing before but I did find something on the net through research I did about using glyphosate for Dallisgrass control in bermuda and I tried it myself. You apply 8 ozs/acre 2-3 times 14 days apart in late Sept to early November. This is the period of time that Dallisgrass is sending it's reserves to the roots so the glyphos is easily translocated. It stunted the bermuda a little but I got about 85-90% control of Dallisgrass and other perrenial grassy weeds.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Same here, but I am seeing more annual bluegrass this year compared to most years due to thin turf from the drought conditions late last summer-early fall and some of the damage it caused. I'm hoping to knock it out. We have had a "monster" week trying to spray as many aswe can with it. I've been using 1 oz/k of Ranger Pro + surfactant. Spring has come so quick, I'm worried we'll run out of time and I'll have to switch to 3 way. We had 8 inches of snow on the ground 3 weeks ago and it's been 60-70 degrees ever since it melted. The bermudas will pop soon.

Ric, I've never done the chemical mowing before but I did find something on the net through research I did about using glyphosate for Dallisgrass control in bermuda and I tried it myself. You apply 8 ozs/acre 2-3 times 14 days apart in late Sept to early November. This is the period of time that Dallisgrass is sending it's reserves to the roots so the glyphos is easily translocated. It stunted the bermuda a little but I got about 85-90% control of Dallisgrass and other perrenial grassy weeds.
Ted

I am not sure why but Dallisgrass is not an issue in my area. Call me either lucky or stupid.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.