Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Newspaper Advertising????

How many of us use the local newspaper for your spring advertising? I have 2 local papers that have a very strong following in the communities that I service with the middle age and older crowd.

What I need to know is how well did it work for your business, what kind of customers did it generate, and was it worth the money and time spent doing it. I personally am only wanting to sell maintenance, I don't do any new installs, hardscapes or sprinkler systems. I am not after high end projects, as I offer middle of the road pricing but want to stay away from the bargain shoppers of craigslist or similar areas.

Any input is much appreciated, Thanks James
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If its cheap, why not? I will NEVER advertise in the Charlotte Observer again. I ran a quarter page ad, and not one phone call. Maybe if its a little weekly reader type of free paper they have, but wouldnt spend more than 70 bucks for twelve weeks...the paper is DEAD!!!! Almost like this industry.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

The Charlotte Observer is a JOKE...I left Charlotte for Shelby a few years ago and have not looked back. My wife and I have another business (racetrack) we manage and promote and we have excellent results advertising in the small town newspapers, but with the big city papers we have not fared well. I am going to advertise my lawncare in the little wormy local paper, We get the Charlotte paper here, but these people dont care nothing about Charlotte.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Lawncare View Post
The Charlotte Observer is a JOKE...I left Charlotte for Shelby a few years ago and have not looked back. My wife and I have another business (racetrack) we manage and promote and we have excellent results advertising in the small town newspapers, but with the big city papers we have not fared well. I am going to advertise my lawncare in the little wormy local paper, We get the Charlotte paper here, but these people dont care nothing about Charlotte.
Please kidnap me!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have had a great response over the last 25+ years from the local paper. It has been the best way to pickup new customers each year!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i tried an ad last year for about a week towards the end of the year...didn't get any calls...maybe it was just because it was the end of the season...but anyways i tried it recently...i put it in there for a whole month..the end of february all the way until early april...the paper around here only comes out 3 days a week...tues,thurs, and saturday...it cost me about $100 so i'll see if i get any calls lol...if i get one customer from it then it would be worth it...i already got one call from a guy asking if i was hiring anyone lol
Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is the Knox News Sentinal here but that is the major paper and cover all of Knoxville. I'm wanting to focus on the west side of town and we have the Farragut Press that has a much better following. I am also planning on running an ad in the special Spring home and garden section that will be a full color special run over the weekend print. I hoping that this will bring me some of my target customers. I've found that in business that you really have to spend the money to ever get the chance to make any.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cannon, which paper did you run ads in down there? I'm from Enterprise.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
Cannon, which paper did you run ads in down there? I'm from Enterprise.
The Eagle, and after June 1st you are pissing your money away for advertising in a newspaper...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanncann View Post
The Eagle, and after June 1st you are pissing your money away for advertising in a newspaper...
I'm going to run the rest of March, April and May and call it done. The only ones you pick up mid season in my experience seem to be PITAs or cheap scapes. I'm hoping this will be enough to help get in 15 to 20 new accounts, or at least pay for itself.

Tags
advertising , craigslist , newspaper