Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The worst parts of kansas city to mow? I'll tell ya...

I get this question posed to me from time to time about the "bad parts of town". I think it's a public service when you, a citizen of a specific community, broadcast to everyone exactly which parts of town to stay away from. And being a city mowing guy, I know exactly which parts see action, which are ok, which are good. In Kansas City...here's the worst parts in order...

1.) Ruskin Heights. Basically 99th & Blue Ridge Blvd south to about 118th St, east and west about 1 mile radius. This was a tough call because KC has so many inner city ghettos filled with violence and debauchery but for this veteran of the streets...Ruskin wins first place. We've had gunfire right across the street from mowing, constant juvenile delinquents hanging around, even had a dead body flopped on our picnic table when we showed up one morning! And...you'll love this...a black guy jumped out with a gun and tried to surprise cops in this one Ruskin park only to be shot dead. We showed up next day, blood still splattered on the sidewalk we were trimming...and black women, single moms, were taking pictures with their kids (yes, I know)...taking pictures posing with kids by where the blood splattered on the climbing rock playground equipment. Stay away from Ruskin, especially after dark. When you've hit rock bottom...you end up in Ruskin.

2.) Northeast KC. Close second to Ruskin but holds onto number two...which is exactly what Northeast is...number two! Independence Ave north and south from the city buildings to 435, north to the river, south to about I-70. Once was the jewel of KC, this melting pot is a stew of crime and absolute poverty, with a healthy dash of putrid rotgut drugdealing. Add to that a horrifying amount of Muslim, Morroccan, Mexican, Section 8 gangbang'in, drug deal'in, whor'in filth...you've got Northeast. I wouldn't live in Northeast if you gave me a house free and clear. We've had Mexicans brandish pistols outside of vehicles protecting their territory, mowers stolen, trimmers taken, public sex, bums, vagrants, hobo communes, you name it. Any part of town where you can rent a 3 bedroom house for $250...run for your life!

3.) to be continued...gotta get some dinner...
Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

call it like it is
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

So is 25$ bucks a yard in these places considered low balling?

I'm familiar with the area and know of many lots that would take an 1/2 an hour to an hour or more. You gonna mow those for 25$ bucks? 75$ a month?
Like your ad says any yard.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I pick and choose where and what to mow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkscrewWillow View Post
So is 25$ bucks a yard in these places considered low balling?

I'm familiar with the area and know of many lots that would take an 1/2 an hour to an hour or more. You gonna mow those for 25$ bucks? 75$ a month?
Like your ad says any yard.
If the yard isn't to my liking, I don't mow it. The advertising gets the calls...I do the pick'in. You'd learn a thing or two from a guy like me if you pay attention...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's funny I was on independence the other day haha. Were does prospect fall in to you list?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECESSION PROOF MOWING View Post
If the yard isn't to my liking, I don't mow it. The advertising gets the calls...I do the pick'in. You'd learn a thing or two from a guy like me if you pay attention...
What, how to run a company based on false advertising? Classy.
Or how to spam up Craigslist?

How about running a company that's diverse?
I don't get caught with all my eggs in one basket and my pants around my ankles.
I get 30% of my business from mowing, the rest is installs, maintenance, and applications.
You actually have to know something to know the difference between an azalea and an abelia. Around here mowing grass is easy. I average 30 hrs a week and I have plenty of time to do the things I want with my free time.

I will agree with you on one thing, having a house cleaner is one of the best things I've ever payed for.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Prospect is bad, bad, bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlerockmo View Post
That's funny I was on independence the other day haha. Were does prospect fall in to you list?
Posted via Mobile Device
You were in my number two worst area if you were on Prospect and Independence Ave. Trashy toilet bowel of an area.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

at least we agree on something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkscrewWillow View Post
What, how to run a company based on false advertising? Classy.
Or how to spam up Craigslist?

How about running a company that's diverse?
I don't get caught with all my eggs in one basket and my pants around my ankles.
I get 30% of my business from mowing, the rest is installs, maintenance, and applications.
You actually have to know something to know the difference between an azalea and an abelia. Around here mowing grass is easy. I average 30 hrs a week and I have plenty of time to do the things I want with my free time.

I will agree with you on one thing, having a house cleaner is one of the best things I've ever payed for.
THAT'S A MIRACLE! LONG LIVE...OUR MAIDS! VIVA MAIDS! VIVA MAIDS! I make no bones about it, I'm a "mow and blower" contractor. I'm not in this game to make friends and keep busy...I'm here to make money. And as a sales superstar from the 1990's Kansas City Star hey days...my ads pull in the traffic.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECESSION PROOF MOWING View Post
I get this question posed to me from time to time about the "bad parts of town". I think it's a public service when you, a citizen of a specific community, broadcast to everyone exactly which parts of town to stay away from. And being a city mowing guy, I know exactly which parts see action, which are ok, which are good. In Kansas City...here's the worst parts in order...

1.) Ruskin Heights. Basically 99th & Blue Ridge Blvd south to about 118th St, east and west about 1 mile radius. This was a tough call because KC has so many inner city ghettos filled with violence and debauchery but for this veteran of the streets...Ruskin wins first place. We've had gunfire right across the street from mowing, constant juvenile delinquents hanging around, even had a dead body flopped on our picnic table when we showed up one morning! And...you'll love this...a black guy jumped out with a gun and tried to surprise cops in this one Ruskin park only to be shot dead. We showed up next day, blood still splattered on the sidewalk we were trimming...and black women, single moms, were taking pictures with their kids (yes, I know)...taking pictures posing with kids by where the blood splattered on the climbing rock playground equipment. Stay away from Ruskin, especially after dark. When you've hit rock bottom...you end up in Ruskin.

2.) Northeast KC. Close second to Ruskin but holds onto number two...which is exactly what Northeast is...number two! Independence Ave north and south from the city buildings to 435, north to the river, south to about I-70. Once was the jewel of KC, this melting pot is a stew of crime and absolute poverty, with a healthy dash of putrid rotgut drugdealing. Add to that a horrifying amount of Muslim, Morroccan, Mexican, Section 8 gangbang'in, drug deal'in, whor'in filth...you've got Northeast. I wouldn't live in Northeast if you gave me a house free and clear. We've had Mexicans brandish pistols outside of vehicles protecting their territory, mowers stolen, trimmers taken, public sex, bums, vagrants, hobo communes, you name it. Any part of town where you can rent a 3 bedroom house for $250...run for your life!

3.) to be continued...gotta get some dinner...
We were coming through downtown with a load of fert on the Isuzu. We got detoured off I-70 down in the Prospect, Paseo, Troost area. We got a little turned around down there and couldn't find a way to get back up on the interstate. We were going to ask a friendly face in the area for help, but I had this constant feeling that if you stop you will be jacked.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Recession, why don't you try to snag some contracts around Mission Hills? Sounds like it might be a nice change of scenery.