Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Small skid steer

I have a good opportunity to add a small skid to my operation. 36" bucket, 17hp. Is there particular work that I could advertise this machine for? Small backyards I get but anything in particular? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of skid steer is it? 17hp isent much at all... you definitaly won't be doing much with it.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst277 View Post
I have a good opportunity to add a small skid to my operation. 36" bucket, 17hp. Is there particular work that I could advertise this machine for? Small backyards I get but anything in particular? Thanks.

I have a similar machine.

brush clearing
grading
lawn installs
sidewalk snow removal
small trenches, drainage
gravel driveway repair
cleaning barns etc
spreading stone/mulch
shed pads and patio area prep

I did a path to a septic system a few weeks ago through 3' of snow. A bigger machine wouldn't fit in there and a snow blower would have been a joke. When I finished, the guy asked me to come back in spring and take care of a brush pile for him.
A day later I knocked down snow piles at the end of a customers driveway and cleared out drainage basins.

I would say that opening up areas (brush clearing) is probably where I've been most successful, but I've used it a lot to spread loam, flatten areas out, and general dirtwork too. The work is out there but its a niche. Some of it is based on access but some of its just keeping your eyes open for opportunity. Get with a guy who installs septic systems or catch up to people needing trench work like electricians. Find a guy who wants to put down sod but doesn't have a decent way of tearing up the existing lawn.
Ditto with small landscapers who want to do some dirt work prep but don't have a machine and really don't want to rent one. Get an auger and plant trees.....

With all the flooding around there will be repair work this spring. It's perfect for that type of work.

It's too small to compete with bigger machines so stay away from working by the hour. Pitch the jobs as single price projects.