Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

no joke, city mowing and the like is horrible work, i will never bid on it again, but was good for raising capital back in the day before lowballers made it unprofitable to say the least.,....
Old 03-08-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got some in fairway, ks...across the street from mission hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
Hey Recession, why don't you try to snag some contracts around Mission Hills? Sounds like it might be a nice change of scenery.
and you ain't kidd'in about "change of scenery". I'm really not a high-end cutter like you or some of the guys on the boards here. I specialize more in "mow and blow" low-cost, good quality mowing, rental cuts, ghetto cuts sprinkled in with some nicer lawns here and there. Not moderate-to-high cost, excellent quality mowing. The Ryan Lawns and top end guys snag those meaty accounts. I don't do irrigation or chemical app, just mow and blow quickie lawns on the residential side.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You were in a bad part of town, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
We were coming through downtown with a load of fert on the Isuzu. We got detoured off I-70 down in the Prospect, Paseo, Troost area. We got a little turned around down there and couldn't find a way to get back up on the interstate. We were going to ask a friendly face in the area for help, but I had this constant feeling that if you stop you will be jacked.
I know Prospect, Paseo, and Troost like the back of my hand and that is nowhere to ask for help if you can avoid it. Looks ok during the day but trust me, that area is teaming with vermin. If you ever want the truth about Kansas City, where to go, where to eat, where to stay, where to live...ask 'ol Recession.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm waiting on some lowballers to fail so i can sweep 'em up at my price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
no joke, city mowing and the like is horrible work, i will never bid on it again, but was good for raising capital back in the day before lowballers made it unprofitable to say the least.,....
I know exactly what you mean by "horrible", as pertaining to levels of bids. I plan on laying back on my city bids, maintaining that "2nd, 3rd, 4th" bid amount and letting the chips fall where they may. When one guys fails in front of you, seems like you always get that call from the city fathers with excuses why this guy or that guy couldn't make money at 27 acres for $50 bid! Hmmmm...wonder why?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Worst parts of kansas city to mow...continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECESSION PROOF MOWING View Post
I get this question posed to me from time to time about the "bad parts of town". I think it's a public service when you, a citizen of a specific community, broadcast to everyone exactly which parts of town to stay away from. And being a city mowing guy, I know exactly which parts see action, which are ok, which are good. In Kansas City...here's the worst parts in order...

1.) Ruskin Heights. Basically 99th & Blue Ridge Blvd south to about 118th St, east and west about 1 mile radius. This was a tough call because KC has so many inner city ghettos filled with violence and debauchery but for this veteran of the streets...Ruskin wins first place. We've had gunfire right across the street from mowing, constant juvenile delinquents hanging around, even had a dead body flopped on our picnic table when we showed up one morning! And...you'll love this...a black guy jumped out with a gun and tried to surprise cops in this one Ruskin park only to be shot dead. We showed up next day, blood still splattered on the sidewalk we were trimming...and black women, single moms, were taking pictures with their kids (yes, I know)...taking pictures posing with kids by where the blood splattered on the climbing rock playground equipment. Stay away from Ruskin, especially after dark. When you've hit rock bottom...you end up in Ruskin.

2.) Northeast KC. Close second to Ruskin but holds onto number two...which is exactly what Northeast is...number two! Independence Ave north and south from the city buildings to 435, north to the river, south to about I-70. Once was the jewel of KC, this melting pot is a stew of crime and absolute poverty, with a healthy dash of putrid rotgut drugdealing. Add to that a horrifying amount of Muslim, Morroccan, Mexican, Section 8 gangbang'in, drug deal'in, whor'in filth...you've got Northeast. I wouldn't live in Northeast if you gave me a house free and clear. We've had Mexicans brandish pistols outside of vehicles protecting their territory, mowers stolen, trimmers taken, public sex, bums, vagrants, hobo communes, you name it. Any part of town where you can rent a 3 bedroom house for $250...run for your life!

3.) to be continued...gotta get some dinner...
3.) EASTSIDE (EAST OF 71 HWY). Coming in at #3 is a strong contender that nobody wants to get caught dead in. Boundaries are 71 Hwy on the west, north to about 19th, south to 75th, and east about 2 miles straight. People routinely get killed in this area. My wife and I watch the evening news every night and comment on how we were mowing "right there, where that guy got shot dead". Drive-by shootings, drug-dealing, whores, pimps, losers, moral decay, crackheads galore...and that's the ones you can actually talk to! This underbelly of lost dreams is forever a sewer. The neighborhoods even smell of sewage because of city neglect. When you flush the stool, probably some of it ends up in Eastside KC. Constant zombies with cell phones walking up and down the street looking for something to steal. If you see black guys on bicycles riding around at 7:30am, it's not for exercise, guys. They're looking to thieve ya! I've had guns put up to employee's heads, stolen mowers, stolen cars of trimmer guys, evil looks every time we arrive, we get out of there as quick as possible! Don't get a flat tire at 57th & Indiana on a moonlit night or you just might be on the evening news the next. Drive it on the hub straight west until you see familiar faces.

4.) Southeast KC. This area borders our number one worst, Ruskin. Southeast runs about James A. Reed Rd. on the west, about 1 mile east from there, south to 470. People do get shot here. And that's a shame because back in the 1980's, this was a good decent part of town. Now, It's filled with many foreigners including Muslims, the radical kind, bottom of the barrel types, drunks, lots of high school dropouts. Lots of section 8 types everywhere you look. Houses are shells of what they once were. Oh, you'll see some fixed up, but those are the diehards. Diehards are older people who didn't sell out when the neighborhood was going to pot, they held on...and now they're stuck right where they're at! Crackhouse laboratories up and down the streets. You have some good folks here and there, but just like every bad part of town...they are outnumbered by the sick and twisted among us. Southeast KC is a perfect example of a good neighborhood that was giving you hints that it was going down, examples left and right, and some of the residents stayed against their better judgment. There's areas of this quadrant that you better just drive past and lock the doors...

5.) Downtown. The city itself is relatively a safe place during the day but at night, watchout. Downtown, especially east edge, is like a commune of every loser you'd ever want to meet in a dark alley. Some of the most densely populated whores, druggies, violent gangbangers in the city hang out in this vicinity. It was a rarity that I didn't call 911 to have some jackwad removed from a park so I could cut it. Morning and Night of the Living Dead. Don't get anywhere near 10th & Harrison after dark, because during the day it is overrun with criminals. You want a crackwhore, go to this part of town after nightfall. Instant case of gonorrhea, thank you very much, pay as you leave please. You should see the 18-wheelers that pull off the road and get their pleasing on this block...looks like a "Flying J" truckstop sometimes. I-70 & Harrison, just a nudge a couple blocks towards the edge of Downtown isn't nice. You can easily get carjacked, mugged, shot, robbed, gangraped, everything in life you want to avoid. If a group of weathered, grisly, unbathed, toothless 30-yr-olds start to wander off the playground equipment and head your way...immediately start sprinting to the City Union Mission due east. They're not members of the local Welcome Wagon, trust me on that one.

6.) URBAN CORE. Sounds upscale, doesn't it? The Core runs 71 Hwy west to about Main St., north to Downtown, south to about 47th, Plaza area. Lots of crime happen'in here and gets plenty of publicity. Many historical homes, nicer high dollar homes in the Urban Core, but the violent crime is still there. And add to that the infamous crappy schools, you've got problems. Anywhere around 71 Hwy, just keep this mind, anything close to that isn't going to be good. That's the highway they built becaue land was dirt cheap and the residents wouldn't put up a fight. Thus, you guessed it, that's where the slums are. You'll have varying degrees and opinions on the Core, but take it from this insider...it's 50/50 on the street if you've run up against a crackhead or just a common street urchin panhandling for blackberry ripple money. Towards the Plaza, it's way nicer, but it's not Branson, MO. Remember, you'r in a big, big city. Anywhere there's a bus route handy, you can transport in your next crime.

Last edited by RECESSION PROOF MOWING; 03-08-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man I used to love KC now I don't know weRe a good part of town is. I guess from now on its trips straight to kaufman and back to Branson! I spent the last week up in platte city and smithville, some nice land up there. I'm glad I live in springfield/branson. Go ROYALS!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OH, there's plenty of good parts of town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlerockmo View Post
Man I used to love KC now I don't know weRe a good part of town is. I guess from now on its trips straight to kaufman and back to Branson! I spent the last week up in platte city and smithville, some nice land up there. I'm glad I live in springfield/branson. Go ROYALS!!
Posted via Mobile Device
KC overall is a great place to live and set up shop, but you have to know the surroundings. And willing to listen to street saavy guys like myself who won't blow smoke up your kazoo. If you pay attention, know where you are, any city can be handled and enjoyed properly. I tell ya what, just for you Castle I'm going to post my "best places in KC I've ever mowed"...how does that sound to ya?