Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Questions about selling my business

Hello all,

Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the Kansas City area and am planning to sell my Commercial / Residential lawn care business this year.

I have 25 weekly mowing accounts and about 8 of those I have a full fertilizer and pesticide treatment program. I'm trying to put a price tag on my business to sell my accounts. I also have 2 Wright standers, one a 48" and one a 52", and also a 36" John Deere walk behind. I'm not too worried about including my equipment because I might be able to unload them for more separately.

Last year I grossed around $27,000 for all that work, not including some landscaping jobs that obviously I can't include with the selling price.

I guess my big question is what Percentage of that can I sell this for, and what would be the likelihood of convincing the buyer to purchase un-contracted yards?

Thanks!!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I wanted an easy way and looked at them and thought about 20 might come through, I'd give you $1000 the first year if they (all 20) signed up. That is assuming they were 1/4-1/3 acre jobs. If they were larger, more. So maybe $170 per acre for the season. But would have to see how technical they were. If they signed up the following year I'd give you half the first year. and the third year half the second.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you should've made more money than that especially if you do fert and pesticide...how big are the yards?....if i did 25 weekly yards mowing only i would easily make $30k doing it for 6 months out of the year...must be small yards
Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

$15000 for everything. Mowers, trailer, trimmers and informed customers about the sale plus a paid week of working with you to meet the customers/get to know and see the properties.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies,

I'm projecting somewhere around %50-%60 of my annual sales just for the business. If my equipment were included I would price that out per piece and maybe give a decent price break on that just to unload all mowers at once.

Am I fair with that? And does anyone know ways to market besides craigslist?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

If I were going to buy your business I would be looking to pay one to one and a half months gross revenue for the accounts plus the equipment. The one to one and a half months revenue would be dependent on the quality of the accounts.

Tags
for sell , lawncare business , mowing