Register free!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let's compare apples to apples. People get SA bc they want it to look good. People wouldn't get common Bermuda for the same reason. Hybrid cultivars, yea, but as others have said they require tons of work. Really though, how many high end homes with zoysia or Bermuda is the turf used for wear tolerance??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plus most St Augustine problems are induced by people. Overwatering brings in all the water weeds and fungus. Overfertilizing fungus and insect. Cut too short crabgrass takes over. St Augustine managed properly is pretty easy and looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2011, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will agree that St Augustine is easy for the mowing aspect but that is about as much as I like it and would sure not want it on a sand base [in my area] which is right on the TX and OK border. I have never seen or messed with Empire Zoysia but I love the Jamur and Palisades Zoysia. I have planted several pallets and have had great luck with it. The Bermuda I like the Celebration but hate to try and take care of the Tiff 419 that they put on most of the lawns around here because I do not have a reel mower and I can not cut it every 3 days. I know some may laugh at me but my favorite Bermuda to take care of is some Coastal Bermuda that was once pasture.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Plus most St Augustine problems are induced by people. Overwatering brings in all the water weeds and fungus. Overfertilizing fungus and insect. Cut too short crabgrass takes over. St Augustine managed properly is pretty easy and looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO, man is his own worst enemy.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Fl Land

while I agree St A is very poor wear tolorance, It is a great lawn for the PGI & BSI retiree Canal homes. It is easy to keep the GREENEST GRASS and be the Jones that other must keep up with. Yes Your Bermuda yard looks great ""MOST"" of the time. St A is more forgiving of missed application of fert than Bermuda. I have no problem admitting You have Taught me the value of Bermuda and made a believer out of me. But each turf has it's value and I am not giving up on St A by a long shot.

Yep if the homeowner walks to his back yard from the garage there is a wear line in the turf where they walk.
I agree ric 100% thats why I started my post with "unless you want to use your yard" In our area most people dont so yes sa is probably the best overall choice....maybe...when it comes to a yard like most people in the world outside of retirementville, they actually go out and use it, and when that is factored in SA is probably a poor choice.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

cancel reply