Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any luck with Flower Seed Marketing???

Alright, I just wanna throw out a question. Has anyone had success with putting a pack of flower seeds in with a postcard in a doorhanger bag?

I tried it last year with a very small number of doorhanger bags (less than 200). It had a postcard, a pack of annual flower seeds and a business card that was in a clear doorhanger bag put on the mailbox flag. I got one call out of the 200 bags put out but never got the job. I wasn't expecting miracles because of the small amount. I beleive the problem was that I put those bags in wealthy neighborhoods where everyone already had a lawn care company.

I am going to try again this year but in neighborhoods with lawns mainly maintained by the homeowner. I am going to have 200 out of the 800 bags with seeds this year. This year, instead of a business card, each bag will have a refrigerator magnet. Anyone else have much luck with this tactic?

My thought is that it would entice the prospective customer to actually reach into my bag and pull out my magnet instead of just throwing away the bag with the contents.

FYI - Got each pack of seeds for 25 cents at my local dollar store!! Can't beat the price!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No one has tried this??? If you haven't, do you think i'm on the right path?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never tried it, but i might now.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have considered doing something like this. The problem I see is the price isn't that cheap. When you consider the seeds at 25 cents and then the bag and post card your cost per piece is about what it would be for direct mail. If you did direct mail you wouldn't have to hand deliver each piece wasting gas and time.

I think you're going about it the wrong way too. I think you SHOULD target customers who use lawn services and not the homeowner who does their own lawn. It's going to be much easier to convince someone who is already spending $200+ per month to choose you over their last maintenance company than it will be to convince people who already have all the lawn maintenance equipment to start spending $200+ per month. The way I see it if they already have a lawn service they are a pre-qualified customer and you just need to tell them why you're a better choice.

If you sell hamburgers you wouldn't waste your time trying to convince a bus full of vegetarians to buy your hamburgers when right next to it there is a bus full of people on their way to mcdonalds.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One more thing. I don't know how many customers you're hoping to pick up but I think you need to deliver MORE pieces of marketing. If you send out 800 and get a .5% response rate (which is what I found to be realistic, all these 1-2% are quite optimistic) that would be 4 calls. If you close half of those (also the realistic expectation) that would be 2 customers. I don't know about you, but I hope for alot more than 2 customers every spring.

Unless you live in a very low population area I would start thinking about putting out closer to 5000 pieces, 10,000 would be better. At 5000 you can expect to close the sale on 12-13 new customers and at 10,000 about 25 new customers.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice...

I actually just found out that I can buy the seeds direct and they are ALOT cheaper! You can buy a 1,000 packets for $93.00 and they are cheaper if you buy more!

Here's the link: http://www.plantationproducts.com/pr...eedpackets.htm

That makes it a lot more cost effective!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I considered doing it, I was going to buy them in bulk and just put them in a bag with the post card.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Sponsor

Hi Lawnsite Members! Advertising can be so stressful... it always feels more like your playing a round of Black Jack more than trying your hand at an investment. We are happy to walk you through the direct mail process & discuss options with you that will help keep your costs down. Have you heard of our innovative Band-It Stick-It Door Hangers? They are a cost effective way to keep your door hanger advertisement on the door where it belongs & customers can even bring the ad inside & place it on the refrigerator instead of throwing it in the drawer with your competitors ads. (Our Postcards also have Stick-It so they can bring the mailer from the mailbox to the fridge!)

We have great start up specials on our innovative Door Hanger Band-It Stick-It® products and even offer free CUSTOM design services if you mention this forum post! (No hidden costs – talk to a live customer service rep – lots of Lawn & Landscaping designs to choose from as well)

5,000 only $349 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
2,500 only $199 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
1,000 only $99
FULL COLOR PRINTING INCLUDED! - 4.25" x 11" - full color front, blank back, gloss cover stock
ALSO 9"x6" FULL COLOR POST CARDS (with Stick-It) mailed & postage included as low as $0.26 each.
SEARCH Lawnsite for Adeas Printing & see what other members are saying about us and our products. TELL CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU READ ABOUT US ON A LAWNSITE FORUM & RECEIVE FREE CUSTOM DESIGN!!

www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers
866 - 778-4254
stickit@adeasprinting.com

Tags
bags , doorhanger , flower , marketing , seeds