Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Favorite Seed Choices

Ok everyone, what are your favorite seed varieties? It could be a mix or single type/cultivar.

I have started working with a KBG/TTTF mix last fall(Dormant seeding), so I'll know the results of most of that work by early May. What I would really like to learn is what grass are you having the best organic attributes.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like Trophy (95/5 TTTF/Blue) and Sahara (100% fescue). Tall fescues and organics are a great mix imo.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure about all fescues, but a client wanted to use up a special fescue they had bought years ago so we did the entire lawn in that... Great lawn, but it never achieves a nice dark, green color... So I tend to shy away from straight fescue...

In expanding on the OP, does any of these new seeds like Midnight KBG look good, even with reduced N...?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe the color didn't look so good because it was an old variety from "years ago". I would guess that every year the fescues are getting better for color. I would also like to know how 'Midnight' KBG works in an organic program.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
Maybe the color didn't look so good because it was an old variety from "years ago". I would guess that every year the fescues are getting better for color. I would also like to know how 'Midnight' KBG works in an organic program.
That is probably true... Our typical fescue in the blends are either chewings or creeping-red and the blends seem to be ok, but just OK without plenty of N and Fe...

I think also the old fescue may have been bred for hardiness... the stuff just doesn't die, even on a west facing slope and no irrigation...
Old 03-12-2011, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The TTTF's have come a long way from the K31 wide bladed fescue. You don't have the same hardiness as the K31, but it's much better than the blue and ryes. I like the color of TTTF lawns, especially when adding compost or humates, as it tends to bring out the blue/green color.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I plant mostly hybrid dwarf KBB. We are so shallow soiled that the fescues cannot reach optimal rooting depth for drought resistance, and ryegrass struggles through the cold.

The compact dwarf class of KBB seems to do very well with organics, it grows slower than typical KBB, and genetically has a better color. You can mow them very short without scalping or stunting and they form a tight sod that chokes out weeds.

Go to the national turf evaluation program (NTEP) and you can check local performance on just about any type and variety of turfgrass.

I also plant quackgrass for areas that wont be managed, it thrives in poor compacted soils with no additional nutrients.